Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
My brother in law and his fieance are being real how do I put it jurks because I have the problem and have to be on anti-depressants. They basically think that I am a bad mother and that my child needs to be taken away. I know it's a bunch of bull because I have the help I need and the family support but they have other people thinking that I need my kids taken away of me. I don't appricate it very much. what is your advise?
by on Apr. 25, 2007 at 5:26 PM
Replies (11-15):
girlnterupted
by on Apr. 25, 2007 at 6:58 PM

Quoting Schmiley81:

I have also been on anti-depressants. It is very hard. The only thing I suggest is that when you start a new med try and make sure people are around as much as possible. I tried a couple and I can't remember now exactly what they were I think Boosbar and something else (at different times of course)
Busbar and a little therapy really saved me at a time in my life when I was getting panic attacks and hyperventilating.  I took  Busbar  for about 1 year and it was not hard to get off of it once I was ready.  I don't know what I would have done without it. 
devalexiangel
by on Apr. 25, 2007 at 7:02 PM
Just because your on anti-depressants doesn't mean your an unfit mother and they are horrible people for thinking so. You need to just cut off ties with them in my opinion. You don't need that kind of high school drama. Post Partum depression happens to a lot of women, and they should be happy for you for getting the help that you need, rather than pretending that everything is ok. It's none of their business what meds you are on in my opinion.
momofsora
by on Apr. 26, 2007 at 11:10 PM
I have the same problem that you do and I don't think with family help that you need to give up your children. I got postpardom on top of my problem  and I screamed at my daughter I didn't mean to,but I did the right thing for me and I gave her to my mother to live with till I was better and I'm getting there and can wait to have her back home with me and my husband.  Don't let people make you feel bad, your doing all the right things.
Kim
skyview
by on Apr. 27, 2007 at 12:36 AM
First of all where does this brother-in-law come off butting into your life?  And never mind him but his fiance too?  Tell that b**ch she's nobody in all of this and she better just back off.  Is this your husband's brother?  What does your husband have to say about all this?  Or your in-laws for that matter?   

Don't let this get the best of you.  You're a good mother who is trying to get herself the best possible help.  The law does not penalize mothers for seeking out medical help.  If you were taking street drugs or abusing prescription drugs that would be one thing - but being under a doctor's care is no crime and it does not constitute child abuse.  

Good luck hon - and if you feel like venting - drop me a line anytime.

Jean Ann 
AndreaMarmo
by on Apr. 27, 2007 at 12:42 AM
Postpartem depression does not warrant having your children taken away. I really hate this debate. And men, of all people, should really keep their mouths shut. I don't think they have the right to have an opinion on this subject. Look, you're doing what's best for you and your children, just as these other women stated. Continue to do so.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN