Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

What do you call your live in boyfriend?

Posted by on Oct. 16, 2011 at 1:52 AM
  • 54 Replies
My boyfriend and I live together. We have 1 child together and he has a son from a previous relationship. My bf has unofficial joint custody. So his son and I are very close. I call his son my stepson, even though we are not legally married. His son calls me ma 2. Sometimes I will call my boyfriend my husband but usually just bf. I feel like I'm lying if I refer to him as husband so usually say boyfriend, but I feel he is more than that. We are much more than bf and gf. He wants to get married but I don't. I am not interested in getting legally married. I wish there was a term to describe the type of relationship we have but I may have to make up my own word. I'm not asking for advice, but am wondering what women in similar situations call their live in bfs.

"If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything." ~ Malcolm X

by on Oct. 16, 2011 at 1:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amonkeymom
by Platinum Member on Oct. 16, 2011 at 2:21 PM

I'm not in a similar situation, however since you live together and have a child together, I'd think you'd be considered common-law husband & wife.  Therefore, referring to him as your husband isn't really a lie.  

Maybe you should sit down together and discuss what your "titles" should be when you introduce eachother to others, etc.

Quoting SoFlyLyLy:

My boyfriend and I live together. We have 1 child together and he has a son from a previous relationship. My bf has unofficial joint custody. So his son and I are very close. I call his son my stepson, even though we are not legally married. His son calls me ma 2. Sometimes I will call my boyfriend my husband but usually just bf. I feel like I'm lying if I refer to him as husband so usually say boyfriend, but I feel he is more than that. We are much more than bf and gf. He wants to get married but I don't. I am not interested in getting legally married. I wish there was a term to describe the type of relationship we have but I may have to make up my own word. I'm not asking for advice, but am wondering what women in similar situations call their live in bfs.

lv.42.dy
by on Oct. 16, 2011 at 2:25 PM
My boyfriend. He was not my husband. His son was his son...I was not his step mom. We were together for 5 years...he called me his wife, I called him my boyfriend.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bamababe1975
by Stephanie on Oct. 16, 2011 at 4:25 PM

You could be considered common-law married. I'd talk with him about what you should call each other and go from there. :)

gemikris82
by on Oct. 16, 2011 at 4:32 PM

im in a similar situation ive been with my boyfriend for 8 years (minus a lil break) and he got a girl pregnant who didnt stick around.  He has full custody of his son James.  James calls me mom.  his mom is 100% out of the picture, she chose the life of drugs over her son..shrugs..  anyways we dont live together yet only because we arent married and i wont move in until we are married, but i do consider James my son.  Im there 7 days a week, key to his house, sleep there time to time, just wont move in all the way. 

.shank.
by on Oct. 16, 2011 at 4:33 PM
2 moms liked this
Unfortunately unless you get married, he is your boyfriend.

Nothing more as far as there being a more important term for it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
girlcitycountry
by on Oct. 16, 2011 at 4:34 PM

I lived with my Fiancee for nearly 9 years, I usually referred to him as my significant other.  He was more than just a boyfriend yet some people would get upset if I referred to him as my husband.  Maybe sit down with each other and discuss how you want to introduce each other.

TrouserMouse
by on Oct. 16, 2011 at 4:34 PM

"Main Bitch"

Mommyto3As
by on Oct. 16, 2011 at 4:35 PM

I call him my BF. I have no intentions of getting married anytime soon. He calls me his wife. 

lovinmykiddo07
by Ruby Member on Oct. 16, 2011 at 4:35 PM

SO & I have been together 5 years, lived together for four & we have a 4 year old son. I call him my significant other. He jokes around that I'm his "life partner", lol. We plan on getting married eventually, but I dont want to call him DF until there is a ring on it.

MiCHELLEx
by on Oct. 16, 2011 at 4:36 PM
My boyfriend lives with me. I refer to him as my boyfriend.. he refers to me as his bitch. he just keeps asking for a beatdown.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)