Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Question For Those Who Don't Believe In The Bible

Posted by on Oct. 16, 2011 at 10:33 AM
  • 670 Replies
1 mom liked this

I hear many people say they don't believe in the bible, that they're all made-up stories, if that's true than how can you explain the things in the bible that are true such as historical events, artifacts that have been uncovered by Archaeologists and such. This post isn't meant to bring any drama so please be respectful with your comments, but I am genuinely wondering why so many don't believe despite so much evidence shows that a lot of stores in the bible are not made up, but actually true.

http://www.christiananswers.net/archaeology/home.html

by on Oct. 16, 2011 at 10:33 AM
Replies (1-10):
Sweet_Faith
by Ruby Member on Oct. 16, 2011 at 10:37 AM

Bump

LoriLou75
by Lori on Oct. 16, 2011 at 10:41 AM
there are lotss of ancient texts that have real historical events in them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AnnieMcD
by on Oct. 16, 2011 at 10:42 AM
21 moms liked this

Historical Fiction is a thing ... 

Just because the Titanic Sank doesn't mean Jack and Rose were on it. 

Mamacruz13
by on Oct. 16, 2011 at 10:43 AM

I guess you could compare it to a historical fiction novel. It is loosely based on actual events. The Other Boleyn Girl was based on actual people in history but the story involved was fiction, understand what I'm trying to say?

(Warning: The above statement is not what I personally believe, I am simply answering the question from the view point of a nonbeliever... I honestly don't know what I believe or not believe.)

.Angel.Eyes.
by on Oct. 16, 2011 at 10:43 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
msmoody
by Her majesty on Oct. 16, 2011 at 10:43 AM
12 moms liked this

I'll try to explain it this way...

When the first caveman saw lightening, he might have thought there was a giant man sitting on a cloud trying to kill them with fire bolts.

The lightening was real, the giant wasn't. 

There are historically accurate events in the bible that I feel have been explained with inaccurate stories.

Aislin
by MoJo on Oct. 16, 2011 at 10:44 AM
4 moms liked this

Well I believe it to be historical fiction. I also believe much of it is taken from other religions. I think the storied were exaggerated, embellished, stolen and some even made up entirely.

I do respect the beliefs of other people and even feel a little bad sayng that but you did ask

masonmomma
by on Oct. 16, 2011 at 10:44 AM
This. And yes that include Jesus and what not ... do you believe all of the books that were not included in the Bible?

Quoting LoriLou75:

there are lotss of ancient texts that have real historical events in them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vegepunkstr
by Gold Member on Oct. 16, 2011 at 10:44 AM
1 mom liked this
I belive it is based on true stories but I think as stories where passed on details changed or people embelished them for their own gain.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AnnieMcD
by on Oct. 16, 2011 at 10:45 AM
3 moms liked this

Additionally, ESPECIALLY since they were writing it to create a religion, it makes it that much more believable for people to be able to say "God MUST exist, because such and such DID happen!!!"

You know, like you're doing now. :o) 

The ancient city of Troy exists too, and the great battle happened. Does that mean that I think that Achilles was a Demi-God who had been dipped in the river Styx? No. No it does not. 

This post has been locked, replies are no longer allowed.

Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)