Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

My 17 year old is pregnant! ***Latest update*** Good news!!

Posted by   + Show Post

First, I would like to thank everyone who took the time to give me advice!!  Of course, with only knowing a tiny part of the big picture, not all of it is applicable, but I am reading every response and considering all opinions.

I talked to my daughter last nite.  She was very humble, not angry.  She is panicking because it seems her boyfriend/fiance is not coming back.  She is worried about finances, has admitted her fault in not keeping up with the house etc.

Did I let her off the hook?  NO!   I told her I would be over once a week to check the cleanliness of the house(as requested by the owner)....she has no more chances regarding that issue.

She gets paid next week and wants to sit down with me to figure out her budget...including what she owes us.  I want to make sure that she can afford everything where she is on her own, and stressed to her that she need s to worry about her and that baby...not the boyfriend.

I will continue assisting my daughter, not enabling her.  I am not going to bail her out, and she will start losing things if she doesn't take care of her business(ie. her car and the house)

She is terrified by the reality of all of this and shocked that she is going to be a single mother.  She wanted it to be a family...not just a baby.   Reality is sinking in.

She is still a child, my child, who thought she could make adult choices and is learning a harsh lesson without being able to change the outcome....or go back to the way it was.

I hope that she meant what she said and will work harder at everything(school, work, home, etc) but she knows that it is HER responsibility....I will give her the chance to prove herself.

****Update:   The house was spotless!!  Now to see if she follows through with the other things we discussed!!!  Keeping my fingers crossed that she just got a wake up call!

by on Oct. 22, 2011 at 10:03 AM
Replies (11-20):
mommy_2_be_2010
by Platinum Member on Oct. 23, 2011 at 10:42 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom40w5
by on Oct. 23, 2011 at 8:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I just read both posts and just want to say that my heart goes out to you and your family. Even from the first post I was with you 100%, I know I would have done the same thing you did because as you stated your maternal instincts don't just kick off. Granted it could've been a better situation, but why make it worse when it doesn't need to be.

I think you're doing the right thing (even from the start). good luck to you and your daughter.

Love and prayers fpor you all.

silverdawn99
by Jamie on Oct. 23, 2011 at 11:53 PM

keep to your guns!!!

JZB
by Jessie on Oct. 23, 2011 at 11:55 PM
Hope so too
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
colins_mom
by Heather on Oct. 23, 2011 at 11:59 PM

bump for later

janell22
by on Oct. 23, 2011 at 11:59 PM
I can't imagine being pregnant at 17. She has to grow up fast but it sounds like you guys are on the right track. It's hard when you realize that you're going to have to do it alone, I still struggle with the idea 6 years later sometimes. Best of luck to all three of you :)
steph_hailee
by on Oct. 24, 2011 at 2:49 AM
That's good news. Let's hope it sticks
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommythree0508
by Corinne on Oct. 24, 2011 at 2:52 AM

Quoting jess80:

Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
daughteroftruth
by on Oct. 24, 2011 at 3:03 AM
1 mom liked this

I think you are handling this very well.  Your not enabling her, but you are guiding her thorugh the reality of her situation while giving her support. 

Your doing a great job here, keep it up, I'm sure your frustrated and worried.

cali_lili
by on Oct. 24, 2011 at 3:07 AM

Awesome!  That's a great start!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)