Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Apparently getting more candy is worth risking your kids lives *edited*

Posted by   + Show Post
We went trick or treating tonight and I could not believe the number of people that didnt have their young (2, 3, 4ect) children in any type of carseat at all to go around town. Sure it takes a bit longer to keep getting them in and out of a carseat, but is your child getting injured or killed in an accident really worth a few extra tootsie rolls?

I did NOT expect this post to explode like it did! I wasnt bashing/judging people for driving their kids instead of walking. We are in northern wisconsin and it was cold and raining for trick or treat. We were driving because we weren't actually going door to door, just to a few people we know that dont all live in the same neighborhood.

WhatDid upset me was the many parents I saw putting kids in cars/vans/trucks not in any carseats. It was not just house to house going 5mph either. The incident that stands out the most was a guy that had the back seats taken out and 8 kids who ranged from not even walking to about 12ish sitting on the floor going 30+ mph down a main road. If he had gotten into an accident, those kids could have been killed.

But even if you are only going down the block at 5mph, that doesn't mean everyone else is too. If another car that is going 25mph hits you and your kids aren't properly restrained the results could be very tragic.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 30, 2011 at 9:31 PM
Replies (401-410):
asiacalico
by on Oct. 31, 2011 at 9:27 PM
Hmmm, gee wonder why obesity in kids is on the rise. What's wrong with parents today! Seriously, people get a little exercise.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jennifer239
by on Oct. 31, 2011 at 9:29 PM

Same here, I've always walked. I think walking would be much more fun than driving.

Quoting mommy259:

We always walk, I think it is alot easier and faster to be honest

genesis530
by on Oct. 31, 2011 at 9:31 PM

what ever happened to walking?  they could get their kids a stroller and be way safer about it. some parents are just too damn lazy.

DivaDynamite
by on Oct. 31, 2011 at 9:35 PM

Why drive?  I mean, if you live in a rural area and you drive into an active neighborhood, that's one thing.  But that's only one trip in and one trip out.  No confusion on whether to use the carseat.  But why repeated loading and unloading?  Is candy that important?  I don't understand.

Love people and use things~don't love things and use people. 

F_Stathouse
by on Oct. 31, 2011 at 9:39 PM
1 mom liked this

My SO has cerebral palsy two canes he walks with  (that and we live out in a rural area in the mountains lol you don't want to go out walking here it's freaking dark out) so a car is easier for us if we did go. But lucky my sister's 16 and18 and their friends took my boy's 3 yrs. and 6 yrs. old out tonight and then out to McD's for a treat. They had tons of fun. 

Some parent's are lazy yes but some have some meaningful medical conditions that call for a car.

Quoting genesis530:

what ever happened to walking?  they could get their kids a stroller and be way safer about it. some parents are just too damn lazy.

MarianneW
by on Oct. 31, 2011 at 9:43 PM

In our neighborhood they come by the truck loads. There are tons of kids packed into the back bed of a truck and they jump out and do a few houses and jump back in. In my opinion it makes it more dangerous to the kids that are on foot. Whatever happened to working for your candy? It used to be so fun. But yeah, no carseats is dumb.

hippiemom04
by on Oct. 31, 2011 at 9:44 PM

Growing up we only got in cars when it was raining, or we had to go to the other side of our little town to see another grandma. What makes me mad is when i see parents leave school with their kids not in seat belts. How a teacher hasn't seen that?

mommy2angels427
by Gold Member on Oct. 31, 2011 at 9:45 PM

we live in the country and we do a hayride... and drive our ATV mule place to place... no car seats involved...

InsanityRains
by on Oct. 31, 2011 at 9:46 PM

We live in a community where my kids can walk around and get candy.  I have never driven my kids around for Halloween.  People are getting so lazy!!

Remember bitches - If you ain't laughing, you ain't livin!!  ~~ Carlos Mencia

Mom to Brianna 19, Dustin (SIL) 18, Michael 16, Cheyenne 14, Katarina 12, Violetta 10, Logan 8, and Jaxton 9/3/11!

amyjane22
by on Oct. 31, 2011 at 9:48 PM
2 moms liked this
It may not be worth the extra tootsie rolls, but it is worth the extra pb cups ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)