Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Whites Only, White Power and the "double standard"

Posted by   + Show Post

I anticipated the response that I finally got from my post. It is a common question, though I don't know why the concept escapes some people. 

Commonly someone will say, if we have something "whites only" or if we say "white power" it is considered racist but not for minority groups. I propose it has more to do with how slogans and symbols already have meaning in our society based in historical context. 

For example, when one says white power or white pride ....the first image that comes to the mind for most is:

or "white only" the image that comes to mind is:

Just as the swastika that has a much older origin in Native American and Indian cultures, doesn't bring to mind the first symbol but the next one. 

I could also use the term "skinhead" to illustrate the same point. A real skinhead will tell you that their origins are multi-racial and they actually take a strong stance vs. racism. However, the term was bastardized by a group of racist buttfaces, so now when someone says "skinhead" they think of this:

As much as it totallly sucks, images, words, and slogans have meaning to each culture. That is why if someone where to deem something "whites only" or talk about "white power" it gives people (not just those of color) the willies. It's a path that so many want to put behind them, however, that doesn't mean you can't be proud of who you are and where you come from. Whether you identify with a European nationality/Ethnic group: Irish, Italian, German, Hungarian, Polish, Swedish, Welsh, Roma, Ostrigoth, Gaul, Celt or whatever it may be ...or you're just Heinz 57 as some say. It's just a problem with the terminology. 

I would add instead of directing the anger that those terms now have twisted meanings toward minorities - as many do - why not be pissed at the people that actually branded those concepts for hate? Honestly, we didn't have a nickel in that dime. 

I find it also interesting that in America we were forced by law to have separate schools, colleges, groups, fraternities, etc.... but now the same country wants to force us to give everything up. I do wonder if some of the resistance is anger that "we had to give up our whites only, you should have to also." Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong. If that is the case, I would ask that all ethnic and national groups receive the same vitrol for having their own space (revisit the list of European countries). 

Final observation and question, do you consider the Italian American Brotherhood to be racist and segregating or just a group of people that have a common ancestry? Why the double standard (as some are so known to say)? I think they and other cultural organizations including those for people of color prove that just b/c people come together it doesn't mean they are doing so to be "against" something. 

So there is my answer to those who consistently bring up the point as to why white power and "whites only" conjures negative feelings. It's about images, symbols and cultural context. 

I have a strange feeling this is not going to proceed at the level I'm setting the stage. If we can refrain from the glicky mook muck that would be awesome but not anticipated. 

ETA: Simplifying it, trying to change the terms "white power" "white pride" and "whites only" to mean something positive not negative would be like trying to sell soft drinks with a company using the Nike swoosh. In marketing it's called branding. Those terms have a "brand" that people have an automatic connection to, just as the "swoosh" means "shoes"

Maybe I didn't simplify it. 

If it matters - I'm not white ...this is my answer to those who have asked this question. 

by on Oct. 31, 2011 at 12:12 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anyanka
by on Oct. 31, 2011 at 1:13 PM

White power, white pride and black power, black pride are equally racist/stupid. You don't choose your skin color, why would you proud of something you have no control over?

Be proud of being a good mother, being a good person or being good at your job.

Pink_Sunshine
by on Oct. 31, 2011 at 1:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Coloured? Ugh. Let me lurk on this one. It is interesting.

LilGina
by on Oct. 31, 2011 at 1:15 PM
1 mom liked this

In case you couldn't tell I was laughing, at you using the word "colored" lol who does that anymore?? LOL

Quoting Bri060492:

Wow way to ASSume things.. yes i have been around a coloured person. I actually have coloured cousins. Also my best friend is AA. And a lot of people are no longer AA they are so much of a mutt that is like me saying i have native american pride when i have like 3% native american in me.

my best friend's grandparents are immigrants from african.

Quoting LilGina:

LOL have you ever been around a "colored" person? lol Black pride is just as dumb. LOL at people saying AA pride and not being AA how do you know?? who are you talking about? Why would they say AA pride if they are not AA????

Quoting Bri060492:

I have seen colour people scream out "black pride" or even African American pride.. when they aren't even African American.

I believe the op is stating that if a white person would say white pride or white power we are racists. but when a coloured person does it that it is ok. It should be either completely racists for anyone who says it.. or not at all.

Quoting LilGina:

White is not a culture it you want to say Italian pride, Irish pride, German pride. I have no problem  with that. When someone says white pride that is racist. You have pride in your skin color??? To me that doesn't make much sense and makes you sound very ignorant.

momwith2monkeys
by on Oct. 31, 2011 at 1:15 PM
1 mom liked this

i agree it is like the rebel flag people think it means that you are racist but it doesn't for most of us who own rebel flags it don't have anything to do with race it is about heritage. for myself and my  family it mean southern pride and southern heritage not about hating other races.

Dawn4175
by Platinum Member on Oct. 31, 2011 at 1:17 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't, haven't, and won't ever use the phrase "white power". I don't see the point or purpose. People fought and died for HUMAN equality and integration, and now for some reason some of us feel the need to separate ourselves into "categories" again. Makes no sense to me, and seems counterproductive to ending racism.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LilGina
by on Oct. 31, 2011 at 1:17 PM

alot of the time if your skin is not "black" then people do not see you as black.

Quoting mommajen32:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quote:

Quote:

I find it also interesting that in America we were forced by law to have separate schools, colleges, groups, fraternities, etc.... but now the same country wants to force us to give everything up.

I think you forgot that the goverment is made up of the people in it. The people who were ruling at that time were white people who were racist so of course they wanted everything separate. But when the tides were turn of course they had to try and undo everything that happened.

If you push an entire group of people to poverty and deprive them of education and higher learning they are going to be far behind.

In conclusion I look at it this way. Think of it as Each race as a kid. There  are three kids. One of the kids has a tendency to hit the others with spoons so the kid ends up not being able to use spoons anymore.  Will that kid be able to use spoons ever again? Of course. I think we are getting to an age where it is okay for white people to show pride again without people being hurt by it. But I do not think we are exactly there yet.

I think those images and slogans are what white people picture when they think of those days. When you ask someone who has family members who endured it they think of the hurt, the pain, and the anguish their family members were put though.

I agree. If you didn't catch it ...I'm black :) ....and in Appalachia nonetheless so I probably experience some of what your g-pa did, it's still 1940 in some places here. 

LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Oct. 31, 2011 at 1:18 PM
4 moms liked this

Colored? I didnt know I got into a time machine and went back to the 1960s

Bri060492
by Bri on Oct. 31, 2011 at 1:19 PM

yes... a mutt is someone or something that has multi lineages mixed together...

and they are coloured.

Quoting bxbsmommy:

I get what you're saying but so much of your post can be offensive. Coloured? Mutts?

Quoting Bri060492:

Wow way to ASSume things.. yes i have been around a coloured person. I actually have coloured cousins. Also my best friend is AA. And a lot of people are no longer AA they are so much of a mutt that is like me saying i have native american pride when i have like 3% native american in me.

Quoting LilGina:

LOL have you ever been around a "colored" person? lol Black pride is just as dumb. LOL at people saying AA pride and not being AA how do you know?? who are you talking about? Why would they say AA pride if they are not AA????

Quoting Bri060492:

I have seen colour people scream out "black pride" or even African American pride.. when they aren't even African American.

I believe the op is stating that if a white person would say white pride or white power we are racists. but when a coloured person does it that it is ok. It should be either completely racists for anyone who says it.. or not at all.

Quoting LilGina:

White is not a culture it you want to say Italian pride, Irish pride, German pride. I have no problem  with that. When someone says white pride that is racist. You have pride in your skin color??? To me that doesn't make much sense and makes you sound very ignorant.

SkylursMomma
by on Oct. 31, 2011 at 1:19 PM
2 moms liked this

LoL
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bri060492
by Bri on Oct. 31, 2011 at 1:22 PM

I was raised to use the word colour instead of black. Saying coloured means you are talking about all skin tones and not just one person. Besides i have yet to see very many black people.. most of them are more of a chocolate brown or a light brown colour.

Quoting LilGina:

In case you couldn't tell I was laughing, at you using the word "colored" lol who does that anymore?? LOL

Quoting Bri060492:

Quoting LilGina:

Quoting Bri060492:

Quoting LilGina:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN