Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

She keeps pulling her hair out!!!

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:57 AM
  • 9 Replies

Last month my 4yr dd broke out in a odd rash on her head, her hair where the rash was (about a one inch strip along the top of her head), fell out.  We have her on a prescription shampoo, seems to be working, but ped didn't really seem to know what the rash was.  Anyway, shortly after that rash, I caught her pulling her hair out, she had plucked a quarter sized area near the front of her head completely out.  Then she stopped.  Then today, i caught er her pulling hair from the back (by the lower neck).  I took a look, and she has pull a bunch of hair out and has a huge bald spot now.  When I was reading to them at bed time, while she was falling asleep she kept reaching up grabbing her hair.  She was mostly asleep, but still trying to pull out her hair. 

I don't know why she is doing this, but its freaking me out.  Its not like she is just pulling out a few strands, she pulled out a TON of hair from the back, (I would say 2 inches by 4 inches area). 

Any advice, recommendations, anything?  (And YES I will be calling the ped tomorrow, as well as our ND... I don't know if this would be anything medical related though.)

Photobucket
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
ProudMama_2010
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:00 AM

Honestly?? cut it really short... I know its kind of a drastic move for a kid but thats what I would do... it'll grow back and when it does hopefully she'll be over her little hair pulling thing... otherwise the only option i see is counseling.

Tannaris
by Gold Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:01 AM
Hmmm ... Best of luck!

Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
daughteroftruth
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:03 AM

Quoting ProudMama_2010:

Honestly?? cut it really short... I know its kind of a drastic move for a kid but thats what I would do... it'll grow back and when it does hopefully she'll be over her little hair pulling thing... otherwise the only option i see is counseling.

so do you think it could just be a phase?  I've never heard of anyone doing this before, so I am just a bit freaked out. 

Photobucket
diegosmom828
by Silver Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:04 AM
1 mom liked this
Trichotillomania??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ProudMama_2010
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:07 AM

Quoting daughteroftruth:

Quoting ProudMama_2010:

so do you think it could just be a phase?  I've never heard of anyone doing this before, so I am just a bit freaked out. 

most likely. Kids go through lots of wierd phases. I think when i was younger I went through something similar like this.. but I dont remember actually pulling large chunks out... i know i used to yank at my hair a lot, the feeling of it coming out of my head fasinated me (its so effed up, but thats the way little kids think. lol) I seriously doubt it'll last long... short hair would suck for winter, but if the rash or w/e isn't totally gone yet, it might be a good idea anyway. it'll help that medicated shampoo do its job better.

Did you have them check her for psoriasis? or excema?? could be either of those on her head too. I have a touch of psoriasis on my scalp, and every once in a while i break out in red patches and sores. it sucks. :(

daughteroftruth
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:07 AM

what?  I'll go look it up now, never heard of it before. 

Quoting diegosmom828:

Trichotillomania??

Photobucket
daughteroftruth
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:14 AM

Quoting ProudMama_2010:

Quoting daughteroftruth:

Quoting ProudMama_2010:

most likely. Kids go through lots of wierd phases. I think when i was younger I went through something similar like this.. but I dont remember actually pulling large chunks out... i know i used to yank at my hair a lot, the feeling of it coming out of my head fasinated me (its so effed up, but thats the way little kids think. lol) I seriously doubt it'll last long... short hair would suck for winter, but if the rash or w/e isn't totally gone yet, it might be a good idea anyway. it'll help that medicated shampoo do its job better.

Did you have them check her for psoriasis? or excema?? could be either of those on her head too. I have a touch of psoriasis on my scalp, and every once in a while i break out in red patches and sores. it sucks. :(

Yeah, kids are odd, and the things they do are odd... but I'm sure I was just as odd when I was that age.  Cutting it short would probably help... plus that medicated shampoo is impossible to work through her hair, I've already used half the bottle. 

So far they checked for staph, he said if the rash pops back up after the use of the shampoo and the anti inflamitory gel, then they would probably end up doing a biopsy.  Hoping it doesn't come to that.  The rash looked like a bunch of zits really.  Just pus filled bumps. 

Photobucket
ArianasMama2007
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:17 AM
OMG! Idk but I would be freaking out!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ProudMama_2010
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:17 AM

Quoting daughteroftruth:

Quoting ProudMama_2010:

Quoting daughteroftruth:

Quoting ProudMama_2010:

Yeah, kids are odd, and the things they do are odd... but I'm sure I was just as odd when I was that age.  Cutting it short would probably help... plus that medicated shampoo is impossible to work through her hair, I've already used half the bottle. 

So far they checked for staph, he said if the rash pops back up after the use of the shampoo and the anti inflamitory gel, then they would probably end up doing a biopsy.  Hoping it doesn't come to that.  The rash looked like a bunch of zits really.  Just pus filled bumps. 

Sounds like it was gross.... prob very uncomfortable for her too.

Hopefully you can do something to help her with this, cause i know how bad having scalp issues is... it doesn't get easier if its a real medical issue. :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)