Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone work in retail ??

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:10 AM
  • 24 Replies

Ok so i have never worked retail , and today finally got a job working at a big department store! yaay me . I am so excited , I love staying home with DS & have enjoyed our passed year and a half together , but if i do it any longer i will lose my sanity lol. I desperately need this anyways so i can get into college for my medical assistance certificate and my RN ( have to buy a sec car to get to the campus) ..

anyways they told me today about diff ways to make commission off from sales , and they will be judging how well you do with these "up sales" while cashing people out , if you do great you get more hours and you get to keep your job after seasonal is over . If you suck and do not do well with "up selling" their store cards,and credit cards, you lose hours and lose your job at the end of seasonal if not sooner .

Well seeing as i am new to all of this i was wondering what the best way to actually make sales on this was , or what works best for you ?? i want to make sure i do my absolute best working for this company ,as at the moment my future depends on it . The last time i did an "up sale" was for a restaurant.  i would get literally screamed at for even asking if they wanted a soda with their food which sort of put me in my shell and makes me nervous on up selling now . So how would you do this tactfully while being speedy ? please let me know thanks

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
prdmomnarmywife
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:16 AM

bump ??any advice from anyone, that has worked retail for a long while and worked their way up ??

benjamink
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:17 AM
1 mom liked this
My advice to to be consistent. Ask everyone, no matter if you think they can or will buy or not. Explain how the product will benefit the customer quickly and succinctly. Always be upbeat and friendly, I'll always buy from a happy person before a sourpuss who doesn't want to be there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
benjamink
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:20 AM
And don't take "no" personally, and don't get discouraged. If you ask enough people someone will say yes. Make sure you're knowledgable about your product so you can satisfy any questions the customer has too. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommySteph06
by Platinum Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:21 AM

What she said! ^^^

I worked retail for years. Upsales aren't always easy and you will have bad days, but you just gotta keep trying. Seriously, ask everyone. No matter what. Known your product (whatever it is your upsaleing). That way you can explain the benefits quickly and confidently.

jjessers
by Gold Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:21 AM

Bump so I can answer in the morning...too tired right now...I was in retail management for many yrs...I'll help ya out if I can :)  After I get some much needed sleep. PM is you want :)

Schleetle
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:22 AM
I was told offer once, state a benefit of the product, if the person still says no then drop it. Like PP said just be friendly, and have a positive attitude. People do get annoyed by those things, so try not to take it personally if someone says something rude. I haven't worked in a few years because I'm a SAHM, but I remember having to grow a thick skin quickly when you deal with the general public on a daily basis. Most people are nice though, good luck with the new job!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aritoyh
by Silver Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:34 AM

I worked at Macy's. Depending on the type of customer I had I "adjusted" to fit them. For a normal conversation, I rang up the total and would say something "If you pay with your Macy's card today you will save $xx.xx " and They would usually say "I don't have a Macy's card" which  would be followed by "If you would like to open an account you will save xx% more on all purchases made today" Sometimes they were swayed, sometimes they were not. For younger men I often said "I know you here this all the time, but I have to ask you ..." and asked them. Most of the time they liked the "jesting" I did with them so they opened them just for the hell of it.

Don't ever push it, especially with someone who seems kinda grumpy or unfriendly. Always smile and be willing to help. Make sure you know the product; I worked in the Jr. department and was CONSTANTLY asked to help pick out outfits for daughters and for special occasions. Also, this was kinda weird but I also had people who would buy for daughters that would use me as a "model" by holding clothes up to me and sizing it. Let them, even if it is uncomfortable, because if they buy it; you can usually up sell to them and get them to open cards.

I only worked there for a few months before becoming a sahm, but I never had any complaints about my methods from the customers or managers. 

DelaneyD
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:40 AM

i have worked in retail before...its all about the little things...

say someone is looking for a cute top..try getting them to look at a top that would look great with a belt or a vest or scarf..something to enhance it. 

and dont just ask them if they would like to add a scarf...

say...oh this top looks great with this...let me show you.

at the cash wrap always add would you like to buy a gift card for a stocking stuffer?? 

where did you get a job??

Pink.Frosting
by Silver Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:43 AM
1 mom liked this

Honestly, I'm a customer to hates it when the sales people do that to me.  I would never yell or be rude to them, but there is absolutely nothing they could do or say to make me purchase any "up sale" item.

prdmomnarmywife
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:45 AM

thank you very much , i will definitely have to grow some thicker skin. I do not get upset easily but i get just a tiny bit shy or scared on continuing with asking people when they are all saying no , i will still do it none the less but it will take some getting used to along with learning how to be convincing that they really want to buy it lol now what would you say your managers would think your best improvements where ,from the day you started until now or when you quit ? or what have they told you your biggest improvements where,if they ever told you ?she said she wants to see constant improvement ,which i obviously understand some of it will come with experience but i want to make sure i can continue to improve and not just stay at an average level.

Quoting benjamink:

And don't take "no" personally, and don't get discouraged. If you ask enough people someone will say yes. Make sure you're knowledgable about your product so you can satisfy any questions the customer has too. Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)