Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I just threw away 90% of my daughters stuffed animals and fabric toys :(

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 3:02 AM
  • 13 Replies

All of her toys have become ruined just from living where we do :( I live in the rain forest and well, it's constantly pouring rain here! It's so humid inside all of the time, that everything fabric ends up with mold on it and quick. If I leave a wet washcloth out, it's moldy by morning, so I have to use paper towels only. My clothes are becoming ruined and I just had to throw away almost all of my daughter's stuffed animals :( Our bed always feels wet and the bathroom never dries. I'll shower in the morning and the shower is still wet at night. I leave the windows open usually, because otherwise it starts feeling like a wet sauna in here, but I'm wondering if I close them will that help? I'm a bit sad right now after throwing away all of these stuffed animals of hers that she had since she was a newborn. I planned on giving her those when she grew up. Now I'm worried about the stuffed animals I gave her from MY childhood. Should I wash them and put them in a plastic bag? Or should I freezer pack my things that I don't want getting ruined? I can't afford a dehumidifier, and my house is a large 2 story PLUS the electric bill is already crazy high here just due to where we live. I'm actually a bit upset right now :(

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 3:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
conweis
by Gold Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 3:06 AM
1 mom liked this

Im sorry hun. I was gonna suggest the dehumidifier but maybe wash and dry her toys and then put them in vacuum bags.

kaee
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 3:07 AM
put it in a bag so no water can get into it! that sounds horrible i could not live there i would cry everyday
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ArianasMama2007
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 3:09 AM
Where do u live?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LilithofEden
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 3:09 AM

Quoting conweis:

Im sorry hun. I was gonna suggest the dehumidifier but maybe wash and dry her toys and then put them in vacuum bags.

The ones I had to throw away, I can't believe how bad they were and how I didn't notice! I have really bad eye sight, but still! It was really gross. I should get some vaccum bags ASAP, and just stick with plastic toys I can wash with vinager or a bleach solution daily. It's just hard to get things to dry around here. 

Damn I wish I would have known it was this bad here before getting all established and what not. Either that, or just start saving up for a dehumidifier and cough up the extra $50 it's going to add to my electric bill every month. 

daughteroftruth
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 3:13 AM

Before you throw them away, try washing them in the washer with peroxid.  I had a fabric showercurtin that got put in storage still damp, and I pulled it out a few months ago, and it was covered in black mold.  I had heard that peroxid kills and takes mold out of fabrics, so I tried it.  Washed the shower curtin in hot/warm, low water setting, with about 1 cup of peroxied, and let it soak for about 1 hour.  It came out, all of it.  I was very shocked.  My SIL used peroxied instead of carpet cleaner to clean her carpets, and it took EVERYTHING out!  Seriously give it a try. 

LilithofEden
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 3:14 AM

Quoting ArianasMama2007:

Where do u live?

The largest rainforest in Hawaii with the most rainfall. 

TygerLily62
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 3:15 AM

Quoting ArianasMama2007:

Where do u live?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LilithofEden
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 3:17 AM

There's a few I put aside to try to save. But this past week has been particularly wet, and some were just beyond the point of saving, so I had to just let them go. I will try the peroxide -- thanks! I know lemon juice is supposed to help too right? My stroller has gotten a little moldy also. I really hate mold right now! 

I was actually considering buying that steam cleaner mop thing, but idk man. I think I need to use something stronger on the floors maybe, or like mop with vinager and then use the steam cleaner.

Honestly, if I think about is this worth it? It kind of is. This place is amazingly beautiful. 

Quoting daughteroftruth:

Before you throw them away, try washing them in the washer with peroxid.  I had a fabric showercurtin that got put in storage still damp, and I pulled it out a few months ago, and it was covered in black mold.  I had heard that peroxid kills and takes mold out of fabrics, so I tried it.  Washed the shower curtin in hot/warm, low water setting, with about 1 cup of peroxied, and let it soak for about 1 hour.  It came out, all of it.  I was very shocked.  My SIL used peroxied instead of carpet cleaner to clean her carpets, and it took EVERYTHING out!  Seriously give it a try. 

Mrs.Pedro
by Silver Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 3:22 AM
1 mom liked this

1. Shut all doors and seal all gaps and keep windows closed.

2. DEHUMIDIFIERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(one for every floor of your house-2 if each floor is big-if you have one story house and it's big 2 of them)....Look online for people selling them if you can't afford it new or check out thrift stores. I know it's expensive but it will be much more expensive to keep replacing clothes etc. in the long run. If you have to just wait until tax season or something to get some. They don't actually add much to the electric bill and you can have them set to run on time.

3. Damp Rid-they are little plastic bowl things that have these pellets that suck the moisture out of the air...Put one in every closet. You can also place them around the house in other areas....more expensive in the long run but cheaper short term.

4. Buy LOTS of dishrags(I try to keep atleast 10)-Put about 2 maybe 3 inches of bleach water either in the sink or in a bucket and keep the rag in there until you need it...No stinky rag and no germs or bacteria. Your rags might not look good but you'll be able to use them longer.

5. You can wash stuffed animals and dry them...They won't last as long but you will still have them for awhile and no kids upset over losing their favorite things.

I live in Oki and it's pretty humid here so I have been coming up with ways to keep my home livable...I hate humidity with a passion lol.

Mrs.Pedro
by Silver Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 3:26 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh and those vacuum seal bags for things you don't want getting ruined...I think you can get silica gel(like those little packets they put in the box with new shoes) and make your own way little thing to keep in the bags so they get dried when closed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)