Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I address this situation?

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 7:59 AM
  • 20 Replies

A family member lives with my husband, kids and I in our house we bought a few months back. It was an agreement we made over the summer. He would live with us and pay a set amount for rent and have free range to the house. He has his own room. One rule that is important to our family is that there is no smoking in our house. He knows this is a rule and agreed to follow it. Well, since he moved in...he tries to hide the fact that he smokes and lie about it when we ask him. My husband busts him quite often and we aren't sure why he hides it. This wouldn't be a big issue if he would just smoke outside. But THAT smell is one that if you aren't a smoker...you don't want it near you or your new home. Or your children! Plus, I am pregnant. He mostly smokes inside when we leave for a period of time, then we come back to that smell with a cheap scent of gross cologne that is trying to cover it up. This morning...I feel like I've had enough. Waking up to him smoking in his bedroom (the next room) is awful. I feel it is seriously disrespectful and over the line. I'm ready to run out with a dagger and overreact. My husband is more furious than I am and wants to ask him to leave. I don't want to go that far but he cannot be smoking in our house! How should I go about saying something to him?

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 7:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Christine0813
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:03 AM

I would give him notice to move out since he can't respect you, your family and home.

Just be honest with him. Approach in a calm manner.

BrownEyedGirl86
by Platinum Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:05 AM
Give him 30 days notice and kick him out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CountryGirl0809
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:05 AM
Simply say no smoking or you're hitting the highway
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aprilsalcro
by Platinum Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:05 AM
Sit him down and tell him it's time to leave
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sandra_t00
by Ruby Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:08 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Christine0813:

I would give him notice to move out since he can't respect you, your family and home.

Just be honest with him. Approach in a calm manner.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dingysfamily
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:13 AM

He isn't following the agreed upon rule ... so ...

Quoting CountryGirl0809:

Simply say no smoking or you're hitting the highway

Rockabye
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:15 AM

Tell him this is his final notice if you catch him smoking inside again. (And yes smelling the smoke inside the house , not just on him, counts as catching him) He will have 2 weeks to pack up and get out.

mandksmommy
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:19 AM

it's your house just tell him. if he can't respect the rules he can leave.

Pooperisfull
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:20 AM

Kick  him out

barrelracer1699
by Gold Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:24 AM

Just go talk to him and say "If you can't follow the rules and respect me. Then you have so many days to get out."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)