Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my 9 year old refuses to do homework..help me!

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:43 AM
  • 15 Replies

I'm at a loss with my son right now. He's been a good student in previous years. This year he started 4th grade and I requested a teacher that I knew would be a bit tougher, but next year he is heading to middle school and I wanted to prepare him for what is to come in the future (I did the same thing for my daughter).

Homework is a constant battle with us. He rarely brings it home, even though I know he should have more than what he does. About 4 weeks ago he brought home about 20 pages of homework that he neglected to do and his teacher said that he needed to get caught up.

Since then he has brought homework home about 3-4 nights a week, but in the past week we are back to square one. I am meeting with his teacher tomorrow, but I'm also disappointed that he hasn't contacted me sooner (I initiated tomorrow's meeting) to discuss the homework issue with my son.

I've never had to deal with a problem like this. My older child does her homework no problem and I get no arguements from my younger son. How do I handle this?

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luvmyangel22
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:45 AM
1 mom liked this
take all his shit away and let him sit in a room with four walls and a bed until he brings his homework home daily. slowyly give his privileges back.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Makhismom
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:48 AM
Dealing with the same thing only mine won't even do it in school.Its so frustrating cause I'll ask him the Q's & he will give me the correct answers but refuses to do anything! Not even the test but if he would just do it he'd have straight 100s. If you find something.g that works let me know we e tried everything.
spcjones203
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:49 AM

Give him a choice.

Manual labor or homework.

After two to three days of housework and moving rocks from one pile to the next, he'll be BEGGING his teacher for extra credit.

spcjones203
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:51 AM

Oh and I mean make him sweat. A little physical activity never killed a kid. But make him work hard. Lugging the vacuum up and down the stairs, scrubbing the toilets with a toothbrush and gloves.

Make it suck so hard that he'd rather be doing homework.

Quoting spcjones203:

Give him a choice.

After two to three days of housework and moving rocks from one pile to the next, he'll be BEGGING his teacher for extra credit.

malissaL
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:51 AM

my suggestion would be to communicate with his teacher (in a notebook of some sort) every day and go over his homework every day with him. If he thinks you aren't paying attention (born yesterday LOL) he will continue to "forget" or tell you he has no homework. 

maybe even show up just at the end of the school day and remind him to "bring his homework".  As long as he knows you are communicating with his teacher, there will be less room for him to blow off his homework. 

good luck

lovingwifey
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:52 AM

Yep!

Quoting spcjones203:

Give him a choice.

lovingwifey
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:53 AM

Plus the house will be clean!  Its a win win!  He will do his homework from now on and you will have a super clean house!  (not saying it is messy) just less for you to do!

Quoting spcjones203:

Oh and I mean make him sweat. A little physical activity never killed a kid. But make him work hard. Lugging the vacuum up and down the stairs, scrubbing the toilets with a toothbrush and gloves.

Quoting spcjones203:

Give him a choice.

MommaGreenhalge
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:54 AM

Take away his distractions, take away privileges when he doesn't bring it home.  Do what you can, but at some point you are going to have to let him sink or swim.  If he fails because he wasn't responsible enough to do it, that's going to be on him, not you.

spcjones203
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:55 AM

It'll be like spring cleaning every single day! I'm winter cleaning the next few days to work out my disappointment in not getting my dream house.

Quoting lovingwifey:

Plus the house will be clean!  Its a win win!  He will do his homework from now on and you will have a super clean house!  (not saying it is messy) just less for you to do!

Quoting spcjones203:

Quoting spcjones203:

Give him a choice.

lovingwifey
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:56 AM

Aww!  I am sorry!  I am cleaning also!  "sigh"

Quoting spcjones203:

It'll be like spring cleaning every single day! I'm winter cleaning the next few days to work out my disappointment in not getting my dream house.

Quoting lovingwifey:

Quoting spcjones203:

Quoting spcjones203:

Give him a choice.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)