• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you do projects for your kids?

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:47 AM
  • 1 Replies

SIL and her foster sister are in fifth grade, and they had an extra credit project due tonight.  We've all known about it since Friday, and MIL went to get the stuff for it last night.  The girls did not choose how they were going to make the model of the cell, the parents did.  Then they didn't get started on it till eight oclock, which is normally bedtime.  I was at the top of the stairs watching this, so I got to see pretty much all of how it went.  FIL basically did it for them, while berating them every time they wanted to do something that wasn't his idea or his way. 

And then the foster kid lied about something as MIL was putting her to bed.  She comes downstairs and tells us the story, then she said, "I don't know if she's going to be allowed to turn in her project tomorrow."

IMHO, the girls should have been responsible for deciding how they were going to do the project, then executing that idea with supervision, but not active participation from one or both adults.  If they didn't get it done in the time they had to do it (two weeks), that would have been THEIR problem, not their parents. My parents didn't do the projects for me, but they did offer occasional suggestions and ask questions that made me think harder about what I was doing.

And correct me if I'm wrong, because I don't remember a whole lot about cells from middle school, but aren't plant cells square?  I seem to remember plant cells always being square and animal cells being round. 

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
bamababe1975
by Stephanie on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:36 AM

My parents helped only so far as finding supplies or helping me work out how to implement my ideas, but they never did my projects for me. If I procrastinated and didn't do something until the last minute, that was my fault and I didn't get any help from them while I worked late into the night to complete the assignment. With my own children, it's the same. I only help where I *have* to, as with using hot glue gun or cutting wires or something where they can't do it just because they're kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)