• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Let's own up

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:38 AM
  • 10 Replies
1 mom liked this
All of the prochoice/prolife posts spend so much time bashing, and I have yet to see anyone talk about what it is that we actually agree on. Here are my thoughts:

1. Most women do not love abortions (whether or not we choose to support a women's choice to have them). I don't think most prochoicers actually think abortion is a "good" form of birth control.

2. Most women think that there are at least some circumstances in which terminating a pregnancy is medically necessary (even if they don't like the idea in general).

3. Most women think that there is at least some point in a pregnancy where an abortion is not acceptable (I don't know many people who support aborting a viable 3rd trimester baby for no medical reason)

4. Most women don't support the idea of forced abortions, or the idea of someone else causing termination of a pregnancy (e.g. from assault, etc)

Really, outside of the extremists on either side, I think that there are a lot of common/shared points. The true argument seems to come down to differences in when abortion should be allowed and for what reasons. Now admittedly, those differences are pretty substantial. BUT, I rarely see people actually stick to those points.
Instead, everyone gets caught up in rhetoric (myself included). Is it murder? Is it sin? Should a women be able to do absolutely anything she wants?

I have nothing brilliant to say, just thought I would point out some common ground...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rgba
by Gold Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:48 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rgba
by Gold Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:11 AM
Clearly this post is too boring, but here is a bump anyway
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ProudMom9799
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:14 AM

looks like you laid it out in a way no one can argue with you...you have stymied the CM community..congrats =)

Pink_Sunshine
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:17 AM

Oh gawd it really is Abortion Month on CM

Michellina11234
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:18 AM

well said

LoveMyLos
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:21 AM

oh sweet baby jesus!

rgba
by Gold Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 5:52 PM

Yeah, I know! Probably because of the Personhood amendment...

Quoting Pink_Sunshine:

angiemamma
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 5:58 PM
1 mom liked this
not just abortions... But duggars... Ugh. Sick of hearing about each. Ugh. Anybody got nething new?

Quoting Pink_Sunshine:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
comf
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 5:59 PM
On number 4 , I have to say- if a woman is assaulted in early pregnancy and that causes her to lose her pregnancy, I do not think the attacker shoukd be able to be charged with murder of any kind. There is a case recently where an attacker was convicted of murder in a situation like that and I feel its a double standard.

*I obviously don't support forced abortions or assaulting a pregnant woman causing her to lose a pregnancy. *
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angelenia
by Gold Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 6:00 PM
well put, OP.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)