Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Some of you anti-religion people scare the crap out of me

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:07 AM
  • 59 Replies
11 moms liked this

Not all, because I myself am a card carrying atheist and I do not find any organized religion to be less harm than good. That being said, the idea of censorship of the arts scares the shit out of me.

Do I believe in separation of church and state, yes.

Do I want my kids solicited to in school, no.

But art is different.

There are few things other than faith and love that have inspired so many artists to do their best work. Do I want my child's art class to be void of Michelangelo's sistine chapel, no.Do I want my children deprived of Mozart's Hallelujah, NO!

It's all about context people! Seeing depictions of religious stories or faith inspired songs are not the same as preaching and can be done at a young age without jeopardizing your child's fragile mind.

Art is the free expression of whatever you are feeling. Write, paint, sing, this is what our children learn in these classes. Write a poem about how awful you feel! Do we want to compromise this? I would not be alive today if it wasn't for art. 

You can give your children a watered down version of anything you want, but I promise nothing bad comes from teaching about the arts.

When a teacher in music class has the kids sing "the seven nights of kwanza" They are not going to change your children's culture. They explain that different people believe different things and if the questions get too deep they tell the kids to ask their parents. If you don't trust the teachers in your children's school that is a separate issue you need to deal with.

So for the love of God, or Goddess, or Stardust, please don't freak out when the kids sing "we three kings" this Christmas, or "dradle dradle" or When they learn about Bob Marley who was rastafarian, or The Beatles singing about ohms and "My Lord". These are all important parts of learning about music. 

Please lets not go burning books on this one.

You won't be depriving my kids of Mozart, because I have a formal music education, and I will teach them if it gets taken out of school. The ones who will suffer is the ones who won't learn about it at all.

Photobucket
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
britt80
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:10 AM
Well said
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommaponch
by Gold Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:11 AM
1 mom liked this

I completely agree.  I am Catholic and I do not have any problem with any songs, stories, artwork, etc that depicts any religion.  As so many (not you) atheists like to say, they feel our bible is a fairy tale.  Well, if a child sees or hears something that is religious based, how hard is it to tell them it's just a story?  They don't have an issue with Santa, so how hard is it to tell your child that they feel Jesus is just as much a cute little story as the big fat guy

Astaroth
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:11 AM
Awesome!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
caito
by Platinum Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:12 AM
2 moms liked this

I agree. I'm anti-religion when it comes to...well...pretty much everything EXCEPT the arts.

Michellina11234
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:13 AM

I totally agree!!!!!

ISAIAHMOM632007
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:14 AM

This goes with the post a while back about a Slavery hym tha had the teh word Lord in it. The mother was sooo up in arms that her kid was singing this. The fact is that is our history, and I as a Catholic will love that my children are taught about Jewish,  Muslim, Buddist art, songs. I am able as a parent to teach my kids our faith but have them undertsand and respect others.

KitschyGirl
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Quoting caito:

I agree. I'm anti-religion when it comes to...well...pretty much everything EXCEPT the arts.

I am as well. When it comes to the arts though, I wish so many people understood the consequences of erasing history. The arts are already in jeopardy because of lack of funding, and the opinion that its not as important as other scholastic programs. All it will take is a few lawsuits to screw all of our children over forever. I promise if the arts get compromised further, the teen suicide rate will increase.

Photobucket
Mrs.VanDeKamp
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:16 AM

Completely, and totally agree with you.

lisairv
by Silver Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:17 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree...I am Christian and I have friends that are not. I do not bash anyone for their religious preferences. My Mom was Catholic and my Dad was atheist. I don't care what religion people are. I will pray for someone no matter what their beliefs are but that is just me.

artsygirl2010
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:18 AM

i agree with you..art is completely different when it comes to religion. a lot of the most beautiful work revolves around religious art.

i am not religious btw. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)