Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Concerned about head banging

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:44 AM
  • 16 Replies

My lil man has recently started head banging.  

He's not banging his head on the floor or any object.  Its more like if he was at a concert, and shakes his head like he was listening to metallica.

When he gets excited, he can be crawling on the floor, then start rocking his body and the head banging.  He's not having a seizure or convulsing.  Believe me, I'm a SAHM and watch him constantly to make sure he's breathing and conscious when this happens.  

Its randomly happening, and Im always keeping my phone handy to try and get it on video so I can show the pediatrician, but of course it happens so fast, that I havent been able to capture it on video.  

this never happened with DD, so this is new for me. I read on babycenter.com that this is 3x's more likely to happen in boys.

He's normal with everything else.  Loves to eat, sleeps well, laughs, interacts with his sister, myself, and DH. He's crawling, creeping, even took his first steps yesterday.  

Has anyone else experienced this?

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ProudMom9799
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:03 PM

my older son used to head bang (he actually banged his head on the floor tho). dr said it was normal and he would eventually outgrow it - he did.  yours sounds like a diff issue tho...here's a bump

LancesMom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:03 PM
2 moms liked this

I think what you are describing is normal excitment. My son would do that too! Especially when the TV was on and jeopardy music came on!

Cookie.Kisses09
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:05 PM
DS used to do that when he was excited or mad. DH was concerned at first, but its perfectly normal. If there are no other issues with him, I wouldn't be concerned.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
artsygirl2010
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:06 PM

he is probably realizing he has a head lol...and that he can move it lol...it's apart of growing up...he is curious. i wouldn't be worried

KYLIEAARONMOMMY
by Crazy Chris on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Perfectly normal! I wouldn't worry about it. I have 3 sons and all 3 of them did it. My dd never did. I have heard it is more comon in boys.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KAnaBeavWalker
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:24 PM

Thank you so much for responding!!!  

Makes me feel so much better!  I did happen to get it on video today.  You all are amazing!!!!  BIG HUGS!!!

Quoting KYLIEAARONMOMMY:

Perfectly normal! I wouldn't worry about it. I have 3 sons and all 3 of them did it. My dd never did. I have heard it is more comon in boys.

KAnaBeavWalker
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:26 PM

Tonight we were out at a bike show (lets not even get into that with my husbands mid-life crisis, and needing a motorcycle) and they had a band outside of the restaurant, and I was able to get video of him banging away.  I think it IS with the music and loud noise.  Thank you so much for responding!   Makes this worried mama feel a lot better!!!  (((HUGS)))

Quoting LancesMom:

I think what you are describing is normal excitment. My son would do that too! Especially when the TV was on and jeopardy music came on!

malissaL
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:27 PM

my DD, 9 bangs her head at night I think it's a tension release when they do that. 

KAnaBeavWalker
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:43 PM

I've literally let out a huge sigh of relief reading these posts.  

I actually called the nurse at the peds office, and when I spoke with her and described to her the head banging she said she never heard of this.  Scared me to death!

I told her I didn't want to make a Dr appt, bc I had no video of this, and of course when I go to the Dr, and they see him for 5 mins, the head banging wont happen, and I didn't want to waste money on a co-pay.  ***Let me clarify, I would sell my kidneys, mortgage my house, and would work 14 jobs,  to pay for any medical treatment my kids needed***   But I didn't want to go in there with a specific issue, have nothing for them to look at, and them be like "well, we see nothing.  BYE" 

Now at least I DO have some video, and all your responses have helped me be able to sleep tonight.  I'm still going to make an appointment since I do have video, but the way I was feeling earlier at the bike show, and watching his head bang around, I told myself I wasn't even going to call the Dr for an appointment.  I was going to be standing at the office door when they opened in the AM.  

Once again, THANK YOU to EVERYONE who responded for putting this mommy at ease tonight!!!   I sincerely appreciate all the responses!!! 

caito
by Platinum Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:48 PM

:)

Are you new to CM or just this group?

My daughter (she's almost three) did it for awhile when she was an infant. I barely remember it, but I do remember being terrified. I think she was just doing it, you know, just cuz lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)