Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

i wish i knew..**update**

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:44 AM
  • 14 Replies
A way to talk to and get through these teen moms heads its not a walk in the park. I was the first out of my class to become a teen mom. My circumstances were different than most. I was almost forced to marry and move out. I didn't live off of my family. I'm now 20 with three. I missed out on everything!!! Don't get me wrong I picked my path. I love my children and would die in a heartbeat for them. But every time I turn around I see another teen mom. ..most i see and went to school with see a baby bump as a fashion statement. I just want to go to high schools and tell my story. But I'm not sure how to get my foot in the door with it....ugh.
**update**
So I found a idaho teen prevention website and emailed them and I got a response!! They are forwarding my email to a women who works closely to local groups in my area!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
krista16
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:46 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lilbitcrazed
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:47 AM

Just ask! Go to your local school/shelter, wherever and ask if you could speak to girls who are at risk for this. I would also search online for advocacy groups that you might join. Good for you for trying to be helpful in society!

juicebox.
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:48 AM

What is your story?  You could contact a school or guidance counsellor and see about following through with that if you like.  Three kids before the age of twenty, that is a lot for a teen to take on.  And I want to ask, but I don't want to come off as rude, sincerely curious, but why not wait after the first one? 

krista16
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:20 PM
My story is quite long haha ill try to shorten it since I'm mobile and its hard to type alot on my phone. But when I was 15 I met and fell in "puppy love" with my oldest two kids biological father. He was "it" I thought he was older 18 and I felt pressured to impress I guess you could say. I did everything for him, disobeyed my parents, snuck out and drank alot. I see now that I am a mother he was a mother's worst nightmare! When we decided to become sexually involved he claimed "condoms hurt, ill pull out ok?" Being 15 and completely in "aw" with him I agreed well to my surprise 4 weeks later I found out I was pregnant. My family was heart broken. My now ex was so happy well he made it seem that way...fast forward a couple months john (my ex) laid his hands on me for the first time. I was scared told my mom she made me leave him. I was upset and scared and went back and ran away until my family aggreed to allow me to see him..the only stipulation was I move out and can no longer live off them..so I did. Those 6 months of my pregnancy was hell. I was abused every night all the way up until I gave birth to my daughter. I still stayed with him he promised he would change. Well one night he wanted "it" I informed him I have been so busy my birth control slipped my mind the past few days and being the lair he was told me he would pull out way before he came close. Being the young and abused naive person I allowed it and well hello pregnancy number 2 at 17. I was scared and stood up to him and said if u lay one finger on me I'm done. Thhat lasted 8 weeks. I left my job early the next day and called the police. John was arrested that day and sentenced to 6 months on a rider. I got my own run down beat up place and could only afford rent and diapers. I wasn't aware of food stamps at the time. So I only could afford food for my daughter and was a very skinny pregnant girl. Well I continued to work and when john got out I went through a rough emotional custody battle..in the mist of all this I met Jesse my now husband and he saved me...long story short john recently agreed to sign over his rights and Jesse adopted. Jesse and I had another child (we can afford another we are on no public assistance and have a wonderful place and car and all the goods lol but our newest baby was not planned as well I was in between birth control ) but even though I am so much better off I still wont be able to do what I want or buy what I want. I just want teen moms and at risk teens to see it! That's my long story short. Sorry if typos I'm mobile

Quoting juicebox.:

What is your story?  You could contact a school or guidance counsellor and see about following through with that if you like.  Three kids before the age of twenty, that is a lot for a teen to take on.  And I want to ask, but I don't want to come off as rude, sincerely curious, but why not wait after the first one? 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
granbaker
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:25 PM

Dear krista16, This is a very good thing you want to do.  Try calling the Board of Education.  If that doesn't get you what you want call an individual school that you are interested in and talk to the principal.  Depending on your circumstances at that time you probably didn't miss much.  There is such heart ache in high school.  Claudette.

juicebox.
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:27 PM
1 mom liked this

That is a story worth sharing.  I hope you find a way to do so, and be proud you have done what was best for your children and yourself to pull yourself out of that situation. 

MrsReticent
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:28 PM
Start by talking to the schools, it's the first step.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof52011
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:29 PM

I would definitely listen if you'd have come into my highschool, I would contact the local shelters/schools and also look up if there are any teen mom clubs around? If there are they may be happy to have you as a guest to talk and the teens there may introduce you to friends of theirs who may be about to get into similiar situations?

Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

krista16
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:30 PM
Thank you. :) I'm trying to search some ways to get involved

Quoting granbaker:

Dear krista16, This is a very good thing you want to do.  Try calling the Board of Education.  If that doesn't get you what you want call an individual school that you are interested in and talk to the principal.  Depending on your circumstances at that time you probably didn't miss much.  There is such heart ache in high school.  Claudette.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
krista16
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:31 PM
Yes I've been trying to search for some clubs like that...no luck on one yet. I will definitely try to call some schools

Quoting momof52011:

I would definitely listen if you'd have come into my highschool, I would contact the local shelters/schools and also look up if there are any teen mom clubs around? If there are they may be happy to have you as a guest to talk and the teens there may introduce you to friends of theirs who may be about to get into similiar situations?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)