Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why do I have to be broke?!?!?!?

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:49 AM
  • 14 Replies

Ok, ladies it is that time again....It's Christmas!!!! I love Christmas and enjoy it very much but why am I being a bad mother cause I won't buy into the whole "go in debt and spend, spend, spend" mode.  Really???? Is this what we have been subjected to??? All year round we spend on "special days" of the year but.... I have a home and a vehicle and 5 kids to feed - by myself!!!! Geez!!!!

WE WERE ALL DESTINED FOR GREATNESS!!!!

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommy2ZOEBETH
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:54 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't buy into the rules of consumerism either. So many kids are now programmed to recieve rather than give during Christmas.I wanna avoid that in my family as much as possible.

L1558
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Nope, we don't do it. I tell the kids that it's not "about them"....and we can celebrate without "getting the gimmies". That wrecks it. Being together and doing good for others is much more rewarding than a bunch of stuff anyway. 

I refuse to go into debt for Christmas. I'm not going to stress either. I'm cool with ham in the crockpot, homemade cookies, some good tunes on the radio, and a Christmas flick on the tube. No Martha Stewart Christmas here, no freaking out if the rugs aren't spotless for company. Those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter....

RaynesMommy07
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:09 PM
I buy a little at a time from the end of October until Christmas so I won't be broke.

They brought back layaway too. So you could always use that. I'm almost done with my kids Christmas and I managed to get them everything they wanted under budget. I'm shopping black Friday for the rest of my family members.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovinglife0682
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:10 PM
We have never gone into debt for Christmas, or anything else. We put money away each month, this money goes towards our summer vacations and Christmas. We spend a lot on Christmas but it is extra money that we have. I do not believe anyone should go into debt for it, that is just bad.
mommasaint
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:11 PM

That's exactly what we do to. We have a Christmas fund and a vacation fund.

Quoting lovinglife0682:

We have never gone into debt for Christmas, or anything else. We put money away each month, this money goes towards our summer vacations and Christmas. We spend a lot on Christmas but it is extra money that we have. I do not believe anyone should go into debt for it, that is just bad.

MommyFlood
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:11 PM

I have never, and will never go into debt for a holiday.

Even if I didn't have a home, a car or financial responsibilities, I still wouldn't do it.

m0m23
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:12 PM

We dont go into debt.  We dont dip into our savings.  My kids dont get presents for no reason so holidays such as Christmas is the time when they get new, age appropriate toys.  We donate anything they have outgrown or no longer play with.  

mes_deux_amours
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Who is telling you, that you are a bad mom for not overspending on gifts?

There is nothing wrong with making the holiday MORE than gifts. I see the gifts as the period at the end of a sentence. All that other stuff leading up to it; gatherings, baking, cocoa, cuddling by the fireplace, lights viewing, reading Christmas stories as a family, singing Christmas songs, crafts... I could go on and on... all those other things will be what your children remember. The gifts are fun and getting them a few things they can open is FUN! :) But, not the only reason for the holiday.

LizzieAnnesMom
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:15 PM

who said you were a bad mom?

superm0m877
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:15 PM

christmas doesnt have to be all about gifts, as long as you dont raise your children to expect that. Get them each 1-2 things and then plan something special to do with them that is low cost/free. its about spending time together not spending money together. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)