• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

NO KIDS ALLOWED baby shower?

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:49 AM
  • 124 Replies

I'm hosting a very large and expensive baby shower for my SIL. If I explained how awful she has been since I offered (no one else did & now I know why), this post would go on forever. Let's just say she is the expecting equivalent--no, WORSE--of the most horrendous Bridezilla episode you have ever seen. I have never had to deal with anything like this.

Today takes the cake (which cost me a freaking fortune): She asked what time I would be at the venue (I own it...it's an old and almost out-dated reception hall; venue just sounds better, lol). I told her about 2 1/2-3 hours before the start of the shower to make sure everything is prepared, but I'd have to make a quick trip home to get my DD before guests start to arrive.

She went ballistic. "I TOLD you I wanted a CHILD-FREE shower. I DON'T want kids running around."

1. My husband is leaving for the airport while the shower is in progress.

2. My DD is 9. She is very well-behaved, and has not  "run around" in a few years.

3. Bitch, I've already forked out a LOT of money for this tacky clusterfuck, if I want to bring my kid, I sure as hell WILL!

I told her as much and I received a phone call from my mother not 5 minutes later. She said I shouldn't stress SIL out and to call her and apologize. Oh, and to see if my neighbor can baby-sit DD during the shower.

No. No. NO. NO. NOOOOO! I'm am 45 and I am having a temper-tantrum.

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lanceandhailey
by Platinum Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:55 AM
2 moms liked this

Here's how I see it, yes you are paying for the shower...but it is HER shower. I would never bring my kids to a baby shower...I understand she is 9, but she will get bored...I would find a sitter.

Peytonsmom6308
by Gold Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:57 AM
1 mom liked this

tell her ok, you'll stay home with DD. Shes 9 not 2 she can sit in the back and read or something. shes not going to "run around"

zianneaaliyah
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:58 AM
1 mom liked this

That's right! LMAO! My rule is you can't make rules if its my damn money. 

Quoting lifehappy:

I'm hosting a very large and expensive baby shower for my SIL. If I explained how awful she has been since I offered (no one else did & now I know why), this post would go on forever. Let's just say she is the expecting equivalent--no, WORSE--of the most horrendous Bridezilla episode you have ever seen. I have never had to deal with anything like this.

Today takes the cake (which cost me a freaking fortune): She asked what time I would be at the venue (I own it...it's an old and almost out-dated reception hall; venue just sounds better, lol). I told her about 2 1/2-3 hours before the start of the shower to make sure everything is prepared, but I'd have to make a quick trip home to get my DD before guests start to arrive.

She went ballistic. "I TOLD you I wanted a CHILD-FREE shower. I DON'T want kids running around."

1. My husband is leaving for the airport while the shower is in progress.

2. My DD is 9. She is very well-behaved, and has not  "run around" in a few years.

3. Bitch, I've already forked out a LOT of money for this tacky clusterfuck, if I want to bring my kid, I sure as hell WILL!

I told her as much and I received a phone call from my mother not 5 minutes later. She said I shouldn't stress SIL out and to call her and apologize. Oh, and to see if my neighbor can baby-sit DD during the shower.

No. No. NO. NO. NOOOOO! I'm am 45 and I am having a temper-tantrum.

lifehappy
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Quoting lanceandhailey:

Here's how I see it, yes you are paying for the shower...but it is HER shower. I would never bring my kids to a baby shower...I understand she is 9, but she will get bored...I would find a sitter.

She won't get bored. I host several large scale parties a year and she is there much of the time, as my husband travels often.

I have a small office off the kitchen...she likes to sit in there and play on the computer.

I don't see the issue with bringing her.

rebel_mommy09
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:00 PM
The way I see it is that it is her shower, but did she help pay for anything? No. Sounds like she's been showerzilla and is throwing a temper tantrum because you, who it sounds like has spend hundreds of dollars has one small request to bring your 9 year old? Yeah the shower would be cancelled if it were me. That's so freaking stupid.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
indymom22
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:01 PM

I've never seen children at a baby shower.  Ever.

mommasaint
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:01 PM

I agree with you. Not only that but it is your DD's cousin about to be born. She is plenty old enough to celebrate with you guys. My girls LOVE baby showers. I wouldn't bring them to a friends, but family, hell yes I would.

She needs to get over herself IMO.

lovelyladybump
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:02 PM
Who owns the hall?? Oh yeah.. You. It would be a cold day in hell that ANYONE would tell me who I can and can't have in a building I own. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lanceandhailey
by Platinum Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Quoting lifehappy:

Quoting lanceandhailey:

She won't get bored. I host several large scale parties a year and she is there much of the time, as my husband travels often.

I have a small office off the kitchen...she likes to sit in there and play on the computer.

I don't see the issue with bringing her.

Then take her if you must, but make sure she stays in there...then your sil has nothing to complain about, because it's like she's not even there..

liveforever
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I get small kids, but I dont see the issue of a 9 year old. Especially being the DD of the woman gracious enough to pay for/throw the shower. Its not like your DD will run around causing a ruckus.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)