• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ugh I need advice badly about my 5 yr. old ( school related)

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:13 PM
  • 17 Replies

I'm starting to think she has a social anxiety or something. Every morning we walk to school, she's completely fine until we get close to the school then she grabs my hand and doesnt let go. I take her sister to class first, and her sister is very social with the kids. Then I take my daughter to hers and all the kids try to say hi and she just clams up. I don't understand why though.

This morning they wanted to have breakfast at school so I took them but they came out of the cafeteria and said they didn't like it so they just didn't eat. From that point I knew I was going to have trouble with her going into class. She just had a look on her face. When it came time to go she threw a huge fit and tried clinging on me. The teacher basically had to drag her in class while i shut the door.....I know part of it was she was probably hungry ( I wish she would've ate something at least) but the rest i don't know.

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
seffiepoo
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:16 PM

bump

usmc.momma
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:18 PM
She probably isn't ready for kinder. Dis she attend preschool??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
seffiepoo
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:22 PM

Yeah she was fine there. I don't know, she says her teacher yells at her sometimes. and if she doesn't have a good day she comes up really mad at everybody. There is a transitional kindergarten program but it's too far to walk and my husband doesnt want to put her in it.

HayKay
Maybe take her out of school, and let her start next fall?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ArianasMama2007
Idk I have a VERY social and outgoing child, also she's been in Daycare then 3yo prek and now 4yo pre k and loves school
Maby your DD just needs some time to adjust, I'm sure she'll be fine
Good luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ArianasMama2007
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:24 PM
The teacher should definitely not be yelling at her, I'd schedule a parent teacher conference, if that don't work move her to a different class

Quoting seffiepoo:

Yeah she was fine there. I don't know, she says her teacher yells at her sometimes. and if she doesn't have a good day she comes up really mad at everybody. There is a transitional kindergarten program but it's too far to walk and my husband doesnt want to put her in it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
seffiepoo
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:25 PM

I don't want to pull her completely out of school. she loves doing schoolwork and does everything right. ugh I don't know what to do...

Steph1499
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:28 PM

I had this problem with my son when he was 5 and in kindergarden.  I started just dropping him off at car line because then he would go to class and not have such a cow.  He only went to pre k during the summer before kindergarden.  After I started doing this he was fine.  Maybe try it once or twice and see how it goes.  You can always drop them off and then park and kinda follow to see if they get to class. 

seffiepoo
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:28 PM

I asked her what the teacher says and she won't tell me. I know that she seems to be more strict than any of the other teachers. And I heard a kid had to be transfered out of her class last year because they were crying every day.

Quoting ArianasMama2007:

The teacher should definitely not be yelling at her, I'd schedule a parent teacher conference, if that don't work move her to a different class

Quoting seffiepoo:

MrsReticent
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:30 PM
It could be a phase. Don't let it get to you and don't show her it will work. Just keep taking her and taking her and taking her and remember this too shall pass.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)