Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should this teacher lose her job?

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:17 PM
  • 48 Replies

http://news.yahoo.com/judge-facebook-post-cost-job-nj-teacher-010230579.html?bouchon=501,ny

Judge: Facebook post should cost job of NJ teacher

NEWARK, N.J. (AP) — A New Jersey administrative law judge has ruled that a first-grade teacher who wrote that she was a "warden for future criminals" on Facebook earlier this year should lose her tenured job.

The state education commissioner now has 45 days to accept, reject or modify the decision regarding Jennifer O'Brien.

The Paterson teacher posted her remark to 333 friends on March 28. But it was forwarded and several parents saw it.

O'Brien's lawyer, Nancy Oxfeld, tells The Record newspaper (http://bit.ly/v8ERLR) that her client will appeal the ruling, which was made public Tuesday. O'Brien had testified that she wrote the post in exasperation because several students kept disrupting her lessons and one boy had recently hit her.

But the judge called O'Brien's conduct "inexcusable."

♥♥♥Sometimes the smallest things take up the most room in your HEART♥♥♥

♥♥♥Brielle: My heart, soul and existence! God's Gift! Mommy's Angel♥♥♥

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
km1970
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:19 PM

eh...I don't know if she should lose her job for bad judgement, but I could see her getting written up for it...

reese1206
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:20 PM
Lose her job? No
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ErikaRobin
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:21 PM

Hell no!  That's funny shit. 

It's frightening that people can be held accountable for things said on a social networking site.

Current CM Rank:      Queen of AWESOME

FOLLOW THE AWESOME @ RandomNinja - Writer of Wrongs

Samanthamommy

No. Sounds like she had an exhausting day, and just used a joke as a little vent. 

Plus, it was on her own time. It's not like she said it in the conference room of the school or something. I'm allowed to say all the shit about my job when I'm not here. Why aren't teachers?

alwayskk

I don't see why termination is always everyone's first reaction. In the private sector, employees get warnings and chances. Teaching is a learn as you go occupation. 

ME_ME_ME
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:22 PM

lol! maybe she could simply prove that there is some truth to what she said? lol! they can't fire her for telling the truth. haha!

Lishes
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:23 PM

Nope. she shouldn't. I understand why a teacher would feel that way.

ME_ME_ME
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:23 PM

I'm left to wonder if the child who hit her was expelled?

kaffedrikke
by Silver Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:23 PM

Nope, teachers deal with little brats who'se parents won't control them on a daily basis. Before any one here judges, be a teacher for one whole month. Yeah it was bad judgement, but hey have any of you been so frusterated that you said or did something a little naughty?

BrittanyLatham
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:24 PM

no

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)