Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

She got in trouble for defending herself! Was it right?

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:30 PM
  • 27 Replies

Okay so yesterday I found out that our niece got detention for defending herself in a fight. Okay here is the back story. Our niece is a straight A student and very popular and never gets in any trouble but Tuesday this guy from her class stopped her in between classes and started trying to pick a fight. Well in the fight the guy got a medal handled mop from the janitors closet and was going to hit our niece with it but when he swung it at her she kicked the mop and in the process bended it. Well then the teachers broke up the fight. Well for picking a fight the guy got detention but they also gave our niece detention also for damaging school property which was the mop. WTF! What was she supposed to do let the guy hit her with the dang thing and it is not like she picked the fight she was just defending herself. What do you think do you think it was right to give her detention for defending herself?

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JulyBabies
by Platinum Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:32 PM
2 moms liked this

I was raised that if somebody hits you (or tries) you hit them back and I have told my kids the same thing. We are not bullies but are not going to be taken advantage of either.

mommysangelface
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:32 PM

no i do not think it was right and i would be going to the school board if i were you

RedRozeMom
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:32 PM
At my dd's school, all involved in any fights get suspended for three days. The one who started the fight gets arressted. Be satisfied all she got was detention.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ArianasMama2007
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:35 PM
This

Quoting JulyBabies:

I was raised that if somebody hits you (or tries) you hit them back and I have told my kids the same thing. We are not bullies but are not going to be taken advantage of either.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sandra_t00
by Ruby Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:36 PM
That is how it is in our school districts. If you get in a fight, no matter if you are defending yourself, you get in trouble. They do suspension around her though, not detention. It sucks that she got in trouble though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsReticent
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:36 PM
AGE is a huge factor here. Why does everyone leave that part out? Jeez.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof52011
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:37 PM
1 mom liked this

That is utterly ridiculous, the boys actions deserve more than a detention I think too! He could have seriously maimed your niece, I would be going straight to the school board and higher if I had to... 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Stephynsos
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:40 PM

-__- that school sucks... Someone needs to fight that detention... She doesnt deserve it...!

Cookie.Kisses09
I know at my old HS both parties get a fine, arrested (depending on the action) and suspension. Even if the other person doesn't hit back! How fair is that? I think if you sat down and explained your neices intentions in not purposely breaking the damn mop she'll get out of the mess.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Squishy72
That happened to me. A girl started a fight with me. I defended myself and still received ISS for 3 days. My parents complained to the principal, and I only had to do one day. I didn't care, I knew I had done the right thing. I'm sure your niece knows too. To me, they are just attempting to be fair, even though we see it differently.

In all fairness, she did dent the mop even though it wasn't intentional lol. Just give them the give dollars to replace it and call it a day. I could see breaking a window or something but denting a mop? Geez.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)