Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

baby shower post got me thinking...

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:52 PM
  • 19 Replies
My dd goes basically everywhere with us (as far as events). She is 3 but does not get loud, doesn't run around, doesn't mess up things, pretty much just sits there quietly. I'll be having another baby shower next year & I would probably bring dd. But the ppl I know with kids....I don't think I would want their kids there...

The kids are bad..they won't sit still, they yell, scream run, pull things off the tables, go through the presents. (I am not exaggerating either, they are terrible at parties)

Would you invite the kids anyway & stress the whole time?
Leave dd home since no other kids are allowed?
Or take her anyway?

(Idk what exactly I will do, this is probably 6-7 months away but just want some opinions on what YOU would do)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
artsygirl2010
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:53 PM

i would just make it an adult only shower...and then when everyone came i would say something like "oh my child is here for it, i didn't have time to find a sitter" or some bs. plus it's your get together, your decision.

Samanthamommy
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:59 PM

What would *I* do? I would likely let the other kids come. Maybe bring some books from my house, or coloring stuff, to keep them busy. 

Or, I would do adult only, and not bring my DD.

mommasaint
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:01 PM

It's personal preference. If your family and friends are used to adult only showers then it probably won't be a big deal. If not be prepared to have low attendance. Maybe you could find someone to "watch" the kiddo's in seperate room or something, if you think it is going to step on some people's toes.

If you decide on an adult party only, then I wouldn't bring your DD, I just find it tacky.

I do find it interesting how everyone comments on how kids can't behave at events like this and yet never include them in anything so that they can be taught the appropriate behavior.  Not bashing...just an observation.

lovinglife0682
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:04 PM

Kids are always around for my families parties.  I could careless if they open the presents and have fun. 

coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:06 PM

If my kids are not invited, they stay home, I go.  My kids are well behaved at parties but if they're not invited, I'm not going to be rude and bring them anyway. Or if it's a party I don't want to go to, I use the I-don't-have-a-sitter excuse.  LOL!

We are invited to a family wedding in July in Boston (we're in Philadelphia).  I just found out the kids are not invited.  At first I was mad because that's a far distance to travel so we were going to make it a vacation.  But now we're either going to bring my MIL to watch the kids while we're at the wedding and still keep our vacation plans or have the bride (my cousin) ask a friend to watch the kids at the hotel while we're at the wedding. 

I'm not going to cause drama because someone doesn't want kids at their party.

lanceandhailey
by Platinum Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:16 PM

If you are not allowing other kids to come, do not bring yours. :)

Young_Mommy89
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:31 PM
We had a cookout & my friends kids were AWEFUL, almost broke her glass door (they were 1 & 2!!) My friend(the mom) sat right there & didn't say anything. We had a room full of toys & cartoons for them, even had things for them to play with outside...nope they'd rather destroy things.

Same child (the oldest) when her mom had a baby shower for her second child was screaming & pulling decorations down.

If you watch your child & attempt to teach them better..then great if you (like the parents I'm talking about) ignore them & don't even TRY to discipline them...no they shouldn't be brought to anything.

SO's cousins weren't watching their kids at a family get together. They were outside in the dark running making the dogs go crazy, then running inside cousins(not a parent) "mancave" which is concrete, has a hot tub, flatscreen, very expensive breakables, motorcycles, etc. They almost knocked the motorcycles over, then knocked an expensive heater behind the hotub, kept playing in the hotub water. I made them get out, they were either gonna break something or hurt themselves.

Quoting Samanthamommy:

What would *I* do? I would likely let the other kids come. Maybe bring some books from my house, or coloring stuff, to keep them busy. 

Or, I would do adult only, and not bring my DD.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Young_Mommy89
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:33 PM
If the parents don't make them mind, they can't really learn can they?

Quoting mommasaint:

It's personal preference. If your family and friends are used to adult only showers then it probably won't be a big deal. If not be prepared to have low attendance. Maybe you could find someone to "watch" the kiddo's in seperate room or something, if you think it is going to step on some people's toes.

If you decide on an adult party only, then I wouldn't bring your DD, I just find it tacky.

I do find it interesting how everyone comments on how kids can't behave at events like this and yet never include them in anything so that they can be taught the appropriate behavior.  Not bashing...just an observation.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Young_Mommy89
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:35 PM
So if it was your kids bday party you would be ok with other kids tearing up the decorations, or digging through your childs presents & opening them? Even before its time to open presents?

Or tearing up your baby shower decorations & taking presents out of the gift bags & throwing them on the floor? (Happend at SO's cousin's babyshower)

Quoting lovinglife0682:

Kids are always around for my families parties.  I could careless if they open the presents and have fun. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovinglife0682
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:17 PM

I really would not be upset.  We had a friend"s 2 1/2 year old open 3 of our daughter's presents.  The mom was mortified, she thought her husband was watching the little girl.  We laughed and took pictures.  She looked so cute. 

Quoting Young_Mommy89:

So if it was your kids bday party you would be ok with other kids tearing up the decorations, or digging through your childs presents & opening them? Even before its time to open presents?

Or tearing up your baby shower decorations & taking presents out of the gift bags & throwing them on the floor? (Happend at SO's cousin's babyshower)

Quoting lovinglife0682:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)