Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Eww! Brush your teeth!

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:07 PM
  • 9 Replies
Do you use fluoride toothpaste on your 1 year old's teeth? I've read that you shouldn't use it because it's not good if they swallow it but I also heard you should use it so they don't get cavities. Right now, Karleigh's using toothpaste without fluoride but I was wondering if we should switch.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
orcadarwin
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:10 PM

I use the toddlers toothpaste on my 2 year old, and then we will switch to the kids' one when she learns how to spit.  

Flouride is not good if swallowed.  It can kill you if you swallow enough of it.

SP_Mama
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:37 PM

We used the non-fluoride until they were 3 and learned to spit well.  They are now 5 and 6 and have never had a cavity or any other problems with their teeth or gums.  *knock on wood* :-)

ArianasMama2007
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:38 PM
I don't remember, it was the origel baby toothpaste
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aaf237
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:39 PM

Use a non-flourinated toothpaste such as OralB training toothpaste until your LO can spit.  Otherwise the fluoride will leave white spots on the child's teeth.  It isn't going to kill her.  I'm a peds nurse.

AHmom103
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:40 PM

With my oldest daughter, we switched to flouride at about 18 months, on the doctor's recommendation. She had really bad breath, and the only thing that got rid of it was minty toothpaste. My youngest DD is still on training toothpaste because she can't spit well yet.

MaryLu86
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:42 PM
You shouldn't use one with fluoride until they are old enough to spit it out..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KimmyShaw
by Ruby Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:42 PM
My DD didn't start spitting till she was 3 so we kept using the baby stuff. Now we use the kids stuff and I'm pretty sure it has it in it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amyjane22
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:43 PM
I used fluoride free until he was about 3yo.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gingersnap30
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:45 PM

My oldest had bad breath too, and it turned out to be the beginning of a peptic ulcer.

Quoting AHmom103:

With my oldest daughter, we switched to flouride at about 18 months, on the doctor's recommendation. She had really bad breath, and the only thing that got rid of it was minty toothpaste. My youngest DD is still on training toothpaste because she can't spit well yet.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)