Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Doula Question

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 3:44 PM
  • 12 Replies
What are the benefits of both - being certified and not being certified. I am really torn. I can get my certification through BAI with their scholarship (approved for it). However, hubby and I don't quite understand the "benefits" of the certification. It's not accredited. Is it just having a certificate saying you were "trained"? DH is kind of iffy about forking out the money if I don't need it. HOWEVER, I have found it's VERY hard to find a doula willing to let me shadow her if I am not going through (or already finished) the training courses.

Also, IF I was to get certified, I would want a more holistic course. That is why I was looking at BAI. DONA seems to be a more "medical minded" approach. Are there any courses recommended over others?

Do you feel it is better to be certified as a doula, or work uncertified?  I am possibly going to be shadowing a local doula, but am wondering if I should get certified as well. 

If you were hiring a doula, would it matter if she was certified or not? I am really torn as to if I want to get certified or not as a doula. For those who have hired a doula, did you even ask if they were certified?

Homeschooling, Unassisted Home Birthing, Circumcising On The 8th Day, Non-Vaccinating, Cloth Diapering, Fundamentalist Mormon Mother Of 7 Wonderful Children.

Follow my blog at "Our Birth Journeys".

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 3:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Seans_mommy123
by Silver Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 3:50 PM

If i understand you correctly you are saying that you wouldn't go through any kind of training but call yourself a doula? If that's what you're saying then No, I wouldn't use you. I'd want a doula who has gone through all the necessary training. I had one with my first delivery and she was part of DONA and in no way pushed the medical aspect of anything. 

kcangel63
by Freebirther on Nov. 9, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Quoting Seans_mommy123:

If i understand you correctly you are saying that you wouldn't go through any kind of training but call yourself a doula? If that's what you're saying then No, I wouldn't use you. I'd want a doula who has gone through all the necessary training. I had one with my first delivery and she was part of DONA and in no way pushed the medical aspect of anything. 

The thing is that there is no certification requirement to be a doula.  You don't have to be certified.  The schools are not accredited.  It is just a certificate saying you read their books and took their tests. 

I am possibly going to be shadowing a local doula (if her clients agree to have an extra set of hands).  It's something that I'm contemplating.  I don't know. 

Most doulas that are not certified said they are almost never asked, and when they explain their reasons for not being certified, almost all are fine with it. 

Homeschooling, Unassisted Home Birthing, Circumcising On The 8th Day, Non-Vaccinating, Cloth Diapering, Fundamentalist Mormon Mother Of 7 Wonderful Children.

Follow my blog at "Our Birth Journeys".

ejbljb
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 4:09 PM
I would. I think people would be more comfortable knowing you are certified, even if you don't use the info from the course. Is it very expensive? I think it's about $500 where I am. I think it's worth it.
Kodysmommy928
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 4:11 PM

If I was going to pay someone to be a doula, I think I would feel more comfortable if they could put certified in front of their name.

kcangel63
by Freebirther on Nov. 9, 2011 at 4:11 PM
I think it's more than worth it just to have the certification. IMO

It's trying to convince DH why I NEED the certification. I can't explain that, because technically I don't need it.

Quoting ejbljb:

I would. I think people would be more comfortable knowing you are certified, even if you don't use the info from the course. Is it very expensive? I think it's about $500 where I am. I think it's worth it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kcangel63
by Freebirther on Nov. 9, 2011 at 7:02 PM
Thank you for your comments. I'm really trying to figure this out. On the one hand, I think it would be good. On the other, it's not necessary.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
britewhitelite
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 7:07 PM

I hired a doula and she told us about her certifications when we had our interview/meeting.

I think it mattered more to DH.  I cared much more about personality and whether I thought she'd be an advocate for me at the hospital since I was VBACing.

britewhitelite
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 7:09 PM

Quoting ejbljb:

We paid twice that, ugh. 

kcangel63
by Freebirther on Nov. 10, 2011 at 4:43 PM
How many of you that hired a doula ASKED about her certification?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
graciesmom6206
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 4:46 PM

I just asked my friend who is a certified Doula and she said out of 10 clients she interviews with at least 9 ask about her certifications.  She said if you want business and people to take you seriously, get the certifications. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)