• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice please???Please no bashing!!

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 4:44 PM
  • 55 Replies

Ok so my ds who will soon be 5.  I have been trying for a couple weeks now to break my ds from saying the word stupid.  He ever since he was younger has watched spongebob squarepants, and i believe is where he really got it froom (i know hubby and i said it before and hes heard, but we try not to say things kids shouldnt say) Recently he started saying it.  I dont know what to try anymore.....weve done time outs, he has been grounded from that and transformers till he quits,just a stern talking to. I dont know what will make it quit.  Yesterday i tried ignoring it, but he would say it over and over again. Any suggestions......(and no bashing please, i just am looking for suggestions on how to break it)

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 4:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bella_Angel
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 4:47 PM
8 moms liked this
If he were MY kid and didn't listen after being told not to say it, I'd pop him on his mouth. Not saying u should, just saying what *I* would do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
zebbyzebby06
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 4:50 PM

i have tried that too. But he laughs.

Quoting Bella_Angel:

If he were MY kid and didn't listen after being told not to say it, I'd pop him on his mouth. Not saying u should, just saying what *I* would do.

RedRozeMom
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 4:52 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't see the issue here, but that's me and I didn't ever ban words.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
macfoote23
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 4:55 PM
Make him brush his mouth with soap... Thats what my grandma did with me..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jcsg
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 4:56 PM
3 moms liked this

Sounds like he keeps saying it because he knows it bugs you.  Everytime he says it, have him put a toy in a bag/box.  And if he wants his toys back, he needs to go a month without saying it.  (use a calender so he can see the progress daily)  And be firm on this.  No "forgetting" or relenting because of a good day. If he doesn't believe you'll stick with a punishment, he'll continue his behavior.  And it will only get worse as he gets older. 

MissLeanna
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 4:57 PM

Quoting RedRozeMom:

I don't see the issue here, but that's me and I didn't ever ban words.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ladywithtwo
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 4:58 PM
Ignore him. Everytime he says it, pretend you can't hear him.

Btw, I don't think we can blame spongebob when you say you say it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
zebbyzebby06
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 4:59 PM

We said he liked it (we didnt brush his teeth but i sat the bar in his mouth for a little bit) after a couple times he didnt care anymore. (the first couple he didnt like ti)

Quoting macfoote23:

Make him brush his mouth with soap... Thats what my grandma did with me..

avi_nevaeh_mama
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 5:00 PM
2 moms liked this

A MONTH? He's not even 5 yet! Man you women are harsh. Just keep reminding him (in a regular voice, not an annoyed or pissed off one) that we don't say "stupid". I think some of you women are really extreme. It's not like he's cussing. He's saying "stupid". That doesn't deserve a "pop on the mouth" or working for a whole freaking month to get a toy back. How about a day if you want to have him work for a toy? Or even a few days. But a whole month? A  4-5 year old would forget about the toy by that point.

Quoting jcsg:

Sounds like he keeps saying it because he knows it bugs you.  Everytime he says it, have him put a toy in a bag/box.  And if he wants his toys back, he needs to go a month without saying it.  (use a calender so he can see the progress daily)  And be firm on this.  No "forgetting" or relenting because of a good day. If he doesn't believe you'll stick with a punishment, he'll continue his behavior.  And it will only get worse as he gets older. 

zebbyzebby06
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 5:03 PM

I know its not all spongebob since we have slipped it as well.  But since it has been said in there (and recently when he saw an epi where they said it is when he started to say it) we wont let him watch because the word is in it adn we dont want him to watch it if hes just going to keep saying it. cause when it was said on there he would copy it, but if he hears someone else say it he will tell them not to say it.

Quoting Ladywithtwo:

Ignore him. Everytime he says it, pretend you can't hear him.

Btw, I don't think we can blame spongebob when you say you say it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)