Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

xmas budget

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:24 PM
  • 5 Replies
What type of budget are you guys looking at? Usually we never have a budget or need to make cut backs...but this year we have to and I don't know if I am cutting my kids short. How many things do you usually give your kids?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:28 PM

we get her 3-4 things and maybe 2 outfits.  Always under 100 dollars though.  We get grandbaby one toy and one outfit.

kiernansmom08
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:30 PM

We're looking at like $300 for both kids.  They're getting like 6 or 7 bigger presents each and some little things.  Plus they're getting a kitten which we have to pay to have neutered and the pet deposit so we're looking at like $350-400 for that.

Lanie_momofone
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:30 PM

You shouldnt compare your budget to our's ...

You know what will make your children happy ...so i wouldnt think of it as cutting them short.

Perhaps picking one thing that you KNOW that they want (within your budget) and getting that for them , and then just getting little things that do not cost that much.

SuperPickle
by Ruby Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:34 PM

we do 4 things, something you want, something you need, something to wear and something to read.

We dont have a set budget but I am just a thrifty person. We dont go overboard.

For the something to read I would much rather go through tons of books and get them more at a thrift store, than pick out 2-3 new ones.

Keeping Christmas Simple:

Every year everyone in the family gets 4 Christmas gifts each representing one given to Jesus.
Something you WANT(GOLD, something worth gold to you)
Something you NEED(MYRRH, something to address individual talents/hobbies)
Something to WEAR(SWADDLING CLOTHES, a couple of outfits and a new set of PJ's)
Something to READ(FRANKINCENSE, supporting the spiritual side, books, music, artwork )

Also if you are not into the religious aspect of Christmas you can just use the want/need/wear/read part of it!

beeber
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:41 PM
I think what you do is really different. I usually get the kids what they need, but they aren't needing much this year.

Quoting SuperPickle:

we do 4 things, something you want, something you need, something to wear and something to read.

We dont have a set budget but I am just a thrifty person. We dont go overboard.

For the something to read I would much rather go through tons of books and get them more at a thrift store, than pick out 2-3 new ones.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)