Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

abilify

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:42 PM
  • 8 Replies

anyone take this? 

if so, do you have problems sleeping?

Its my body and I'll do what I want to.

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Rydersmommy616
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:52 PM

Im not sure about the sleep.   I did take back april 2008 .  I had some issues with being manic. but the stuff made me feel like i couldnt talk.  I was kinda of antsy and my words felt like the weighed a hundred pounds.  Its an interesting medication.. I tried it on and off for 3 mnths and every time i took i regreted.Try it though maybe take a half a dose just to causous

Rydersmommy616
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:54 PM

bump

Sanctimommy
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:06 PM

Abilify must be used daily for at least thirty days in order for it to properly work. Taking it sporadically will cause the medication to be ineffective. It must build up to a certain level in your system for it to work. It is not recommended that you change the dosage on your own, as that could also cause issues with its effectiveness or in some cases, present a health risk. Don't drink alcohol of any type while taking it. Tell your doctor if you have ever taken street drugs, so he can be aware of potentially fatal cardiac conditions that could arise. Check with your doctor before taking over the counter cold remedies and the like to avoid health dangers.

It worked like magic with my son, Gnu. He was no longer impulsive, aggressive, and out of control. He communicated rationally and logically.

Quoting Rydersmommy616:

Im not sure about the sleep.   I did take back april 2008 .  I had some issues with being manic. but the stuff made me feel like i couldnt talk.  I was kinda of antsy and my words felt like the weighed a hundred pounds.  Its an interesting medication.. I tried it on and off for 3 mnths and every time i took i regreted.Try it though maybe take a half a dose just to causous

Rydersmommy616
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:12 PM

When I tried it I had a 4 month old baby and when I took  it reguraly I couldnt get up with him.  I was beyond sedated.  I couldnt bond It was horrible time to ben manic anwys   . I was going manic and crazy I think bc of my pregnancy horomones being all whack.  At the time I was also on prozac every day.  After I had ryder I became implusive and even narissitic.  That manic phase lasted for about a year.  Anyway now im wellbutrin it costs alot of money and i dont have insurance . But my mom helps me pay for it bc the stuff makes normal.

Quoting Sanctimommy:

Abilify must be used daily for at least thirty days in order for it to properly work. Taking it sporadically will cause the medication to be ineffective. It must build up to a certain level in your system for it to work. It is not recommended that you change the dosage on your own, as that could also cause issues with its effectiveness or in some cases, present a health risk. Don't drink alcohol of any type while taking it. Tell your doctor if you have ever taken street drugs, so he can be aware of potentially fatal cardiac conditions that could arise. Check with your doctor before taking over the counter cold remedies and the like to avoid health dangers.

It worked like magic with my son, Gnu. He was no longer impulsive, aggressive, and out of control. He communicated rationally and logically.

Quoting Rydersmommy616:

Sanctimommy
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:19 PM

I'm glad you were able to find the medication that worked best with your own unique brain chemistry. So many people believe that meds are a one-size-fits-all magic bullet. It's such a delicate balancing act to find one that fits your body, mind and life style. You wouldn't believe how many different meds the doctors experimented on my child with before they found the one that suited him best. It made me crazy waiting the full month just to see if the dosage needed revamping, or if the side effects were tolerable, or if it even worked at all. Typically, they changed his meds about once every six months. When he finally responded to the Abilify, I felt like breaking into the frikkin' Hallelujah Chorus right there in the doctor's office.

Quoting Rydersmommy616:

When I tried it I had a 4 month old baby and when I took  it reguraly I couldnt get up with him.  I was beyond sedated.  I couldnt bond It was horrible time to ben manic anwys   . I was going manic and crazy I think bc of my pregnancy horomones being all whack.  At the time I was also on prozac every day.  After I had ryder I became implusive and even narissitic.  That manic phase lasted for about a year.  Anyway now im wellbutrin it costs alot of money and i dont have insurance . But my mom helps me pay for it bc the stuff makes normal.

Quoting Sanctimommy:

Quoting Rydersmommy616:

rocknmom85
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:23 PM

My SD 12 takes it and she is autistic...it has helped with her irritablity and outbursts but she has gained at least 20 pounds. It has actually helped her sleep as she has had sleeping problems in the past but it also makes her groggy sometimes. I am mixed about it, it has helped her in some aspects but not sure if the side effects are worth it. 

Rydersmommy616
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:31 PM

Thank you Im really happy your son found the right meds for him.  Since the 9 th grade Ive taken zoloft, prozac , celexa, respirdal, abilify, well butrin zanax and adavan.   For a long time I really fought taking my meds and now I just do it .  I feel bad for my parents bc sometime in my teens I lyed about taking it.  Guess now I have a son and theres no joking around. Ya know?   I look at like its water I need the meds as much as I need water.  Does your son taking anything else?

Quoting Sanctimommy:

I'm glad you were able to find the medication that worked best with your own unique brain chemistry. So many people believe that meds are a one-size-fits-all magic bullet. It's such a delicate balancing act to find one that fits your body, mind and life style. You wouldn't believe how many different meds the doctors experimented on my child with before they found the one that suited him best. It made me crazy waiting the full month just to see if the dosage needed revamping, or if the side effects were tolerable, or if it even worked at all. Typically, they changed his meds about once every six months. When he finally responded to the Abilify, I felt like breaking into the frikkin' Hallelujah Chorus right there in the doctor's office.

Quoting Rydersmommy616:

Quoting Sanctimommy:

Quoting Rydersmommy616:

Sanctimommy
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:39 PM

He took everything you mentioned here and quite a few others. Right after he turned 18, his friends convinced him it was a swell idea to stop taking meds. That didn't work out very well for him and he has finally been released (yesterday morning) from the Mental Institution he was placed in after nearly four years. The institution changed his meds to Clonidine which is about as effective in stabilizing his moods as I'd imagine a handful of Pez might be. I am now lobbying his present psychiatrist to put him back on Abilify. I suspect that the change in medications had more to do with cost than anything else, since it was clear Clonidine does not work with his system (he had some serious breakdowns while taking it).

Quoting Rydersmommy616:

Thank you Im really happy your son found the right meds for him.  Since the 9 th grade Ive taken zoloft, prozac , celexa, respirdal, abilify, well butrin zanax and adavan.   For a long time I really fought take my meds and now I just do it .  I feel bad for my parents bc sometime in my teens I lyed about taking it.  Guess now I have a son and theres no joking around. Ya know?   I look at like its water I need the meds as much as I need water.  Does your son taking anything else?

Quoting Sanctimommy:

Quoting Rydersmommy616:

Quoting Sanctimommy:

Quoting Rydersmommy616:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)