Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Penn state--Joe paterno fired today

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:36 PM
  • 15 Replies

I will find a link --I just got a text of breaking news!

I am glad as his  " I will quit after the FOOTBALL season" reason sucked and spoke for itself.

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
night.magic
by Chicken Nugget on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:38 PM

Was he fired, or just retired early? I read some of the article earlier. That whole situation is messed up.

canelamami
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:39 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree.. he seemed a lil arrogant, saying he would retire after season. I think the board made a right decision.. He failed those children. :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cookie-kisses
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:39 PM

BUMP!

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:41 PM

What a bunch of crap!

canelamami
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:42 PM
1 mom liked this
He released a statement earlier that he was going to retire after season, but the board of trustees for the college fired him moments ago.

Quoting night.magic:

Was he fired, or just retired early? I read some of the article earlier. That whole situation is messed up.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
night.magic
by Chicken Nugget on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:42 PM

It's disgusting nothing was done before now. What took so damn long?

Cookie-kisses
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:45 PM

Lost his job immediately

Quoting night.magic:

La-Belle-Vie
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:45 PM

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (AP)—Penn State trustees fired football coach Joe Paterno and university president Graham Spanier amid the growing furor over how the school handled sex abuse allegations against an assistant coach.

The massive shakeup Wednesday night came hours after Paterno announced that he planned to retire at the end of his 46th season.

But the outcry following the arrest of former assistant coach Jerry Sandusky on molestation charges proved too much for the board to ignore.

One key question has been why Paterno and other top school officials didn’t go to police in 2002 after being told a graduate assistant saw Sandusky assaulting a boy in a school shower.

Paterno says he should have done more. Spanier has said he was not told the details of the attack.

Sandusky has denied the charges.

Defensive coordinator Tom Bradley will serve as interim coach while Rodney Erickson will serve as interim school president.

Earlier in the day, Paterno said in a statement he was “absolutely devastated” by the case, in which Sandusky, his onetime heir apparent was charged with molesting eight boys in 15 years, with some of the alleged abuse taking place at the Penn State football complex.

“This is a tragedy,” Paterno said. “It is one of the great sorrows of my life. With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more.”

John Surma, the vice chair of the board of trustees said, “these decisions were made after careful deliberations and in the best interests of the university as a whole.”

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-pennstate-abuse

night.magic
by Chicken Nugget on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:53 PM

Thanks for updating the info for me.

Snowl
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:00 PM

I think everyone involved who still works there should be fired. If they are retired they should lose their pensions.

I am a certified teacher and ALL through college, student teaching, etc. we were told it is a LAW in PA to report any suspected abuse or neglect. Some professors even said we could lose our teacher license if we did not make a report and it was found out afterward. **Note: I am not sure if it is a law or not but it should be **

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)