Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

smelly children? wwyd??

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:48 PM
  • 8 Replies
My dd is 6yo and tonight we are bed and she tells me that there is this girl in her class that smells really bad. She said that this girl smells like she smokes. I told her that if it bothers her then she needs to tell her teacher because I can't do anything about it. Well my dd then informed me that this little girl will follow her around, and do what she does and my dd doesn't like it. If this little girl is trying to be friends with my dd then I don't want my dd to be mean or rude and not be her friend just because she smells. If this little girl smells as bad as my dd says then I don't want my dd smelling something she doesn't want to smell. I don't feel that my dd should have to smell cigarette smoke on a child nor do I feel any child should go to school reaking of their parents bad habits. I have not had to deal with this yet so I don't know what to do or what to tell my dd, so what would you do or say to your child?
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
momcat437
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:53 PM

You can try to talk to the teacher about it but I don't know what she could possibly do, if it's cigarette smoke--if she smells unclean, like neglectful unclean, then you or the teacher can report it; otherwise, just tell your dd to be nice--how can you ask her to not be friends with this child?  Tough call...

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I would talk to the teacher myself as well.  Sad when a child that young gets ostracized due to their adults bad habits.  Maybe (if school allows it) DD could take a little bottle of age appropriate body spray to share with the little girl.  The girl probably craves having a friend and that is probably very overwhelming for your dd to deal with.

Due9
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:02 PM

Tough one..i would tell me child to be nice. I do feel sorry for this girl who is apparently around smoking.

rmfanfgljf
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:04 PM
I do believe this little girl wants to be friends with my dd. I have no idea how to approach this or how to explain this to my dd in terms she will understand. I think I will talk to her teacher tomorrow with her and see what can be done. I don't want my dd to handle this on her own because the girl is just an innocent child as well who can't help smelling like cigarette smoke. The way my dd said it though kinda makes me wonder if its some other odor though.

Quoting frndlyfn:

I would talk to the teacher myself as well.  Sad when a child that young gets ostracized due to their adults bad habits.  Maybe (if school allows it) DD could take a little bottle of age appropriate body spray to share with the little girl.  The girl probably craves having a friend and that is probably very overwhelming for your dd to deal with.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
artsygirl2010
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:04 PM
talk to the teacher
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rmfanfgljf
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:07 PM
Yeah I defiantly don't want my dd being mean, because the other girl could be a great friend to my dd if she would give her chance. But I also don't want my dd to be her friend because she feels bad or because she feels like she has to, I want my dd to be friends with whoever just because.

Quoting Due9:

Tough one..i would tell me child to be nice. I do feel sorry for this girl who is apparently around smoking.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elle7777
by Gold Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:10 PM

Ultimately not much you can do about a child smelling like smoke because their parents smoke...You *could* bring it up to the teacher, but she probably already notices it and not much good her bringing it up to the parents will probably do. I feel sorry for the little girl.

strictmomhere
by Platinum Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:11 PM
Rough one hope it gets worked out
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)