Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Soap or vinegar in the mouth?

Posted by   + Show Post
Have you ever put soap or vinegar or even hot.sauce in your childs mouth? What do you think of.people that do?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 16, 2011 at 9:38 PM
Replies (391-400):
CharlaBarla
by on Nov. 17, 2011 at 8:08 PM
3 moms liked this
I agree with being embarrassed to be a part of Cafe Mon as well. Really?? Abuse??? LAME!!! I have done hot sauce and vinegar. And guess what, I've only had to do it once. Behavior stopped. I'm out. No more lame opinions!

Quoting YolandaFitz:

I'm embarrassed that I'm even a member of Cafe Mom, when u guys would think that that is abusive. lame. Soap? My kids try to like the soap themselves. I'm not sure how that's abusive. Vinegar ? That's just plan retarded to think that would be gross enough to do something. Hot sauce ? They don't even sell a sauce hot enough to do damage or the ability to make the child be able to make better choices. LAME. I've never tried those things but they are not abusive in my eyes.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2manydiapers
by on Nov. 17, 2011 at 8:09 PM
5 moms liked this
i think the word abuse is over used on this site
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MyLittleMonkey
by on Nov. 17, 2011 at 8:10 PM
1 mom liked this

My child loves hot wings. I guess you guys had better call CPS on me because I let him eat them. Are you people freaking for real. Hot sauce does not harm a child. You people need help. I think those of you that think its a form of abuse are the ones fucked in the heads. Oh and I talked to CPS here in ohio and they said that as long as it does not contain chemicals like soap does then it is NOT abuse. So before you speak know what you are talking about.

kzuehlk
by on Nov. 17, 2011 at 8:12 PM

I've given my kids a drop of chili powder on their tongues for lying or back talking. CPS says it's perfectly legal as long as what you are using is edible.

Jsmommy0528
by on Nov. 17, 2011 at 8:18 PM

Hmm I feel the opposite way. You treat your children with respect and you get respect. It is my job as a parent to guide and teach him. Putting soap in the childs mouth is actually illegal and some people have been prosecuted for it. A Florida womans child had a severe allergic reaction to ingesting the soap. Hot sauce and vinegar are not illegal but imo are pointless. Does that teach them why saying those words are wrong or why they shouldn't lie? No

Garbage in garbage out. Love and respect in love and respect out.

Quoting Wyldbutterfly:

I can't get over how many people think this is abuse.

It's absolutely no wonder kids today are disrespectful little piss pots.

"go to the time out chair Tommy" Give me a break!

mad_bookworm
by on Nov. 17, 2011 at 8:21 PM
1 mom liked this

My own mother used to back-hand me across the mouth for being a smart-mouth (which in truth, I often was.)  I suppose she considered this to be an improvement over getting your mouth washed with home-made lye soap, which was used on her and her siblings.

I don't approve of either approach, and I don't especially care for the hot-sauce idea either.  Depending on the nature of the offense, (the major ones are talking back insolently and using objectionable language) I used to send my kids to their rooms for the remainder of the day to think it over (and while they had books, they didn't have electric widgets or much else to play with) or, if they were old enough, I would make them sit down and write a more civilized way to express their anger.  I always took the approach that if somebody has to use the "F-word" a dozen times to get through a single sentence, they obviously need to work on their vocabulary.  We emphasized feelings a lot.  an example might be "I feel really angry that you are making me dry the dishes tonight when you know I need to study for the test tomorrow."  Well, that would give us a place to start.  Maybe a sibling who didn't have a test the next day would volunteer to dry the dishes and let the put-upon child do it another time.  Or I might volunteer to help them study after the dishes were done. (My kids are grown-up now, and while they can all swear like sailors - in more than one language - they don't do it in our home.)

totallyCrazymom
by on Nov. 17, 2011 at 8:25 PM

Quoting PartyOf5InWI:

I would never put any of those things in my childs mouth. A lot of people think that sort of thing is child abuse and so do I. That woman that was on Dr. Phil was charged with child abuse for using hot sauce.

She was charged with abuse for the way she did It and the fact that she made him take a Freezing cold shower. The only thing he did was not tell her that he got in trouble at school ( I wonder why?) when she found out, her reaction was out of control. Some parents shouldn't be parents If they can't control themselves.

azeventdiva
by on Nov. 17, 2011 at 8:29 PM

I did wash my oldest daughters mouth out with soap once. She was young, and kept repeating a swear word (not sure where she had heard it, because I never swore). I put a little bit of liquid soap on a tooth brush and brushed her tongue with it, rinsed with water directly after. Did not make her sit there with a bar of soap in her mouth like that Christmas movie (can't remember the name). Was a short punishment, and I never heard her say another swear word again. And, since then she has always asked about words that are questionable (like darn, damn, etc). She's now almost 13. Can't say I regret it at all.

As for hot sauce, I do think that's on the border line of abuse, since some hot sauces can actually burn the skin. I would assume that someone that is using that method is not using one that hot, but there are those out there that would.

Never heard of any one using vinegar. I wouldn't see the harm in that one.

Izunia
by on Nov. 17, 2011 at 8:30 PM
Havent done it but don't consider it abuse.
luvmygrandbaby
by on Nov. 17, 2011 at 8:31 PM

I have used lemon- a drop on my finger then on her tongue for spitting but she got a drink as soon as it was done....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)