Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pet Lovers: Would you be able to.....

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 12:19 AM
  • 18 Replies

Here's my situation... I have a cat that is absolutely evil. He scratches people for no reason. I babysit two kids and just had a baby of my own 6 months ago, so we just absolutely can't keep him. He's never scratched the kids, but came close many times. I've tried for months to find a home for it, but he doesn't do well with other animals or kids, so nobody wants him. We don't have a no-kill shelter anywhere in my area. None of the vets will take him. The pound said they are out of room, so he would automatically put to sleep if we brought him there.

We've been keeping him outside but he sneaks in every now and then. I saw him close to one of the kids today and went to scoop him up and put him outside and he went crazy on me and tried attacking my arm. I had to throw him into the wall to get him off me. It was horrible.

I doubt if there's anyone that loves animals anymore than me, so this is breaking my heart but I don't know what else to do but take him to the pound. Is this horrible? I know they're going to put him to sleep, but what other choice do I have? I'm so clueless on this. So, what would you do?

by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 12:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brettsmomma
by Tammie on Nov. 18, 2011 at 12:22 AM

have you tried craiglsit or your local paper? I could never put a cat to sleep for scratching.. maybe get him declawed.. even tho I personally dont like it its better then death.

ballerina18
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 12:22 AM

That's a tricky situation. Good luck. I don't know what I would do, but I don't think you are a bad person for thinking about taking the cat to the pound.

mommychelle01
by Member on Nov. 18, 2011 at 12:27 AM

Scratching is a big deal, especially with kids. He's not just pawing at us with his claws out, he's full on attacking. And yes, I've tried everything. Nobody wants a mean cat.

I personally can't afford to get him declawed right now, but even then, he still bites us in the midst of his attacks. It's just not safe.

Quoting brettsmomma:

have you tried craiglsit or your local paper? I could never put a cat to sleep for scratching.. maybe get him declawed.. even tho I personally dont like it its better then death.

thehickinhickor
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 12:29 AM
Is he fixed? My male cats are.like that until they are fixed
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
allycally
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2011 at 12:31 AM
just put the cat outside and dnt let it in
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gfig
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 12:32 AM
Bump. I love animals too but I couldn't deal with that :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommychelle01
by Member on Nov. 18, 2011 at 12:32 AM

We live in a subdivision and our neighbors hate us right now for him being outside. He gets on top and under their cars and they're worried about their kids too.

Quoting allycally:

just put the cat outside and dnt let it in

mommychelle01
by Member on Nov. 18, 2011 at 12:33 AM

Yep, he's been fixed for awhile.

Quoting thehickinhickor:

Is he fixed? My male cats are.like that until they are fixed

LCG83
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 12:38 AM
What about having him declawed? Although with as aggressive as it sounds like he is, euthanasia sounds like it might be a good option. So sad. A cat like that would be VERY hard to rehome. If that's what it comes to please don't beat yourself up over that. Chances are even if the humane society had picked him up somewhere he would have been put down for his very aggressive behavior. Especially if he is not a young cat. (((Hugs)))
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ProudMama_2010
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 12:41 AM

I have a similar problem with our cat.. I know its prob mean but every time he scratches or bites DS  I slap his ass and lock him in his "kitty jail" (kennel) which he hates but he doesn't scratch again for a while..... it seems to be working because he doesn't do it as often as he used to. Though I have yet to break him of climbing up on my counters......

<.<   >.>

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)