Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son had a seizure tonight :(

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 12:43 AM
  • 10 Replies

My two year old has been in the hospital because his blood sugar has been dropping severely low.  We discovered this last Thursday when he was stumbling around the house like he was drunk.  I took him to the ER and his blood sugar was 21 and his temp went down to 91.  They rushed him to the PICU where they stabilized him and he got better.  They sent him home on Sunday with orders to follow up with the Endocrinologist this Friday.  They were thinking he was having adrenal crisis from chronic steroids for asthma mixed with stress from some medical procedures.  Since they treated that they didn't think he'd have anymore episodes.

Tuesday night he acted strangely again my mom was diabetic and checked his sugar it was 39.  We got his sugar up without having to go in but I called his Endocrinologist she suggested we increase his protein intake and she gave him his own glucose monitor.  Well the sugar crashes kept happening even though I was following everything the doctor said.  Then this morning.  He was sprawled out on the floor and we tested his sugar and it was 21.  I gave him four ounces of orange juice and a half an hour later it was only 23.  we gave him 4 more ounces of juice and half an hour after that it was only 29.  I called his Endocrinologist right away and she told us to get over to the children's hospital right away because she was admitting him.

His sugar was 115 when we arrived but he was admitted anyway.  It dropped to 80 in a matter of 20 minutes so he was put on a sugar drip to prevent crashes.  He was doing great but they told me they think based on his symptoms and labs that he has a very rare metabolic disorder and the Endocrinologist would come by in the morning and tell me what this means and talk about the test they are going to do to confirm the diagnosis. 

He ate his dinner fine and then went to sleep.  The nurse kept checking his sugar every two hours and they were great.  Then I heard him make this squeaky sound and I looked over and he's jumping slightly.  it looked strange enough that I called the nurse.  When we turned him over his arms and upper body were jerking strangely and he was not responding at all.  The nurse got the doctor and she confirmed what I thought, he was having a seizure.  They tested his sugar and it was really low.  They gave him something quick through his IV and called down for a new IV drip.  I stayed calm but was shaking.  The doctor kept assuring me he was ok.  Once they got his sugar up his seizure stopped but it lasted over three minutes. Now he is sleeping very soundly which they told me is normal after a seizure. 

I can't sleep now it scared me so bad.  I keep thinking what if I hadn't been here to see him jumping like that no one else was in the room.  The disorder they think he has causes a person not to process protein right and so protein causes the sugar lows.  I feel awful that I increased his protein intake but it explains why he got much worse when I did increase it.  And it also explains why his sugar dropped even though he was on the sugar IV because he had protein for supper.  They are sending a nutritionist in the morning to tell me what he can eat. 

by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 12:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gfig
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 12:46 AM
I'm sorry :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tnvplus2
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 12:47 AM
Oh my gosh that is some scary stuff. :( (hugs) I'm sending good vibes his way and yours.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angie729
by Ruby Member on Nov. 18, 2011 at 12:47 AM
How scarey. I hope you get answere and he is better soon. Hugs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Charley427
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 12:48 AM
Aww I am so sorry mama. My daughter had two seizures over this past winter and it was so scary. Yes they do sleep a lot after them. And they are out of it for a while. I hope they find out what's going on with him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amy1will
by Amethyst on Nov. 18, 2011 at 12:49 AM
Omgosh hun I'm so sorry. I know how scary that is. My son has seizures. It freaks me out Everytime he has one. I hope he get better. Hugs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
roxy27
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 12:50 AM
I'm sorry you have to go through this. Hugs and more hugs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AlwaysKISA
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 12:50 AM
:-(.poor baby. How scary! I hope you get a diagnoses soon, good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Beyondthesky37
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 12:54 AM

Thank you, everyone!  I'm hoping they can figure out how to keep his sugar up and he won't have anymore.  They said we will be here in the hospital awhile.  He has to be of all IVs and on a special diet plan without any sugar crashes before he will be released.  Since Tuesday night his sugar has crashed twice a day so I really hope they can figure it out.

babipeanut
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 12:54 AM

Ask if his bed has an alarm on it --that can detect lots of motions of lack of motion.  Sometimes they do of if they can hook him up to a moniter that would tell the nusrses that he is having a seizure.  Is there anyone who can come to the hospital for a while while you sleep there in his room?

Good Luck -I hope you find something out in the morning.

andreamarie
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2011 at 1:00 AM
I ana so sorry mama. Dd has seizures but is not diabetic. Prayers sent. Please update later
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)