Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Robert Wagner May Be Responsible For Natalie Wood's Death? Hmmm 30 years later

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 8:42 AM
  • 9 Replies

I saw this on the Today show. Some of you may be too young to remember this but Natalie Wood died from supposedly falling in the water while boating in the Ocean (she was drinking supposedly). 30 something years later, the boat captain is coming forward saying Robert Wagner is responsible. I wonder why he waited so long? I always thought that her death sounded fishy though. 

Image: Robert Wagner and Natalie Wood
TODAY
Actress Natalie Wood, right, drowned in 1981 while boating off Santa Catalina Island.
updated 39 minutes ago

The former captain of the boat from which actress Natalie Wood drowned in 1981 alleged on TODAY Friday that her husband, actor Robert Wagner, was responsible for her death.

Dennis Davern said he is now urging homicide investigators to look into Wood's death. She had been boating with Wagner and his "Brainstorm" co-star Christopher Walken off Santa Catalina Island when she drowned.

"I made some terrible decisions and mistakes," Davern told NBC News' David Gregory. "I did lie on a report several years ago." 

He added, "I made mistakes by not telling the honest truth in a police report."

Natalie Wood death probe to be reopened

When pressed by Gregory, Davern said he believed Wagner had intentionally kept the investigation into her death low-profile. And when asked if he thought Wagner was "responsible" for Wood's death, Davern said, "yes, I would say so. Yes."

"We didn't take any steps to see if we could locate her," Davern added. Many of the details he shared have appeared in the book "Goodbye Natalie, Goodbye Splendour," authored by Marti Rulli.

Wagner's publicist issued a statement saying his family supported the L.A. County sherriff's department "and trust they will evaluate whether any new information relating to the death of Natalie Wood Wagner is valid, and that it comes from a credible source or sources other than those simply trying to profit from the 30-year anniversary of her tragic death."

Speaking on TODAY, Davern said, "I'm not in it for profit, I'm in it for the justice of the whole situation."

by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 8:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Cheribomb
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 8:43 AM

no way to prove it now... never indict him.. 

randomosityblog
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 8:45 AM

Not sure if I believe it, sounds like he wants some fame and $$. If he wanted justice he would've said it sooner...

laranadtony
by Emerald Member on Nov. 18, 2011 at 8:45 AM

Yeah,just a publicity thing.

xXxLillithxXx
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 8:46 AM

I've always thought he was responsible. And what about christopher walken?? I mean good god he is soooo creepy!

mommas3cubs
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 8:47 AM

I don't know,I watched the interview of the captain, he was very vague, and I like that whats his name prettty much called him on his BS, that was funny.

Chaos1229
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2011 at 8:48 AM
I agree

Quoting randomosityblog:

Not sure if I believe it, sounds like he wants some fame and $$. If he wanted justice he would've said it sooner...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
greenie63
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 8:51 AM

yeah I saw that too. It's always been one of those famous deaths where I thought something just wasn't right. It'll be interesting to follow since the LA pd are reopening the case. 

Quoting mommas3cubs:

I don't know,I watched the interview of the captain, he was very vague, and I like that whats his name prettty much called him on his BS, that was funny.

SnapIt
by Movin' on up on Nov. 18, 2011 at 8:53 AM

I always thought something wasn't right

But I don't know about this guy. Why now?

stefvan
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 8:55 AM

I don't remember this happening but I know my dad always thought Wagner caused her death.  I caught just a bit on the Today show this morning and there was a woman on there talking about them arguing and Wagner shattering a bottle.  I didn't get to the rest of it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)