Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Poll

Question: would you have voted the same as these California residents ?

Options:

yes , I think so

No , I doubt it

Maybe /something else

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 41

View Results

When I first heard this I thought it was fur and leather etc.. I also heard it was PETA behind it all. So at first I thought it was absolutely crazy and awful. But now I am hearing it's just fur and I don't have as BIG a problem with that. My thinking is we eat beef ( leather) so it's not comparable to killing a mink ( I don't eat mink ...do you?) just for a jacket . But then again I still dislike PETA and is it right to outlaw the fur trade which employees people etc..Doesn't supply and demand keep the fur trade in check, sorta speak? -

I now don't know how I feel about the ban , I think I don't support it but I do hate thinking of little chinchillas being killed just for their fur ( which btw I would never wear)

from article I read this morning;

(ANTI-FUR) CALIFORNIA —  Following the temporary ordinance issued last week, Hollywood has officially outlawed the sale of all animal hair, skin, and fur. Hollywood is the  nation’s first city to implement such a ban, and officials are hopeful it will ignite a new anti-fur movement.
This progressive city is at the forefront of animal welfare movements, previously being the first city to ban live pet sales. The law is set to take effect June 30, 2012. Read on for more regarding this animal rights victory and how the fur industry is reacting. — Global Animal

http://www.globalanimal.org/2011/09/27/update-hollywood-fur-ban-now-reality-video/52329/

by on Nov. 22, 2011 at 9:29 AM
Replies (11-20):
southern.momof2
by Mel on Nov. 22, 2011 at 9:37 AM
MMaybe because leather can be made from cow skin. We kill the cow to eat it. It would be wasteful to just throw the skin out.

Quoting Tatum2U:

Would people feel differently if Leather was included??

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Nov. 22, 2011 at 9:37 AM

No, I would never vote for something so stupid and impractical.  I don't know why Californians are so unsure of how to handle their own business, is there something in the water that makes them so incompetent that they want everything, right down to how they wipe their asses, legislated?

alwayskk
by on Nov. 22, 2011 at 9:37 AM

Quoting Tatum2U:

Would people feel differently if Leather was included??

Absolutely. I have two fur coats that I inherited from my grandmother and I'll probably never wear them a day in my life. Leather, I wear that all the time.

hautemama83
by Nichole on Nov. 22, 2011 at 9:38 AM
No, I wouldn't support it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
phantomphan
by PrincessBcake on Nov. 22, 2011 at 9:38 AM
And I don't think leather comes from the cattle used for beef. I could be wrong.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tatum2U
by Platinum Member on Nov. 22, 2011 at 9:42 AM
1 mom liked this

this is what bothers me ;

the opponents argue with equal passion that this is simply another attempt to enforce politically correct conformity on a community that values diversity and nonconformist individualism.

LogansMommy0328
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2011 at 9:42 AM
1 mom liked this
I was thinking the same thing.

Quoting AnnieMcD:

Does this mean that you can only purchase dead pets in Hollywood? Cause that seems a little mean to me...

Quoting Tatum2U:

This progressive city is at the forefront of animal welfare movements, previously being the first city to ban live pet sales. The law is set to take effect June 30, 2012. Read on for more regarding this animal rights victory and how the fur industry is reacting. — Global Animal

http://www.globalanimal.org/2011/09/27/update-hollywood-fur-ban-now-reality-video/52329/

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
norahsmommy
by Platinum Member on Nov. 22, 2011 at 9:43 AM
All manufacturers have to do is not sell there. It won't stop anything, they will just sell elsewhere. If it really did stop the sale of leather specifically, that's so wasteful when cows are slaughtered and their skin is just thrown away. You should make use of every tiny bit of an animal. It did die to feed you!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lordgodempress
by Silver Member on Nov. 22, 2011 at 9:44 AM

This seems almost like a stupid political tool,  "see we ban fur, we care about how animals are treated".  They should have imposed better laws on how meat animals are treated and protecting the American public by enacting laws on what those animals are fed to make them healthier for humans.     This was a waste of time.

Tatum2U
by Platinum Member on Nov. 22, 2011 at 9:44 AM

still getting that it does NOT ban leather??

Kaplan also questioned whether a ban supposedly motivated by concerns for animal welfare also doesn't outlaw leather, which comes from an animal’s hide.

D’Amico breaks it down to fashion versus function, noting that fur is only used as a fashion accessory, but leather has work activities connected to it in our culture.

“I’m not denying that people can find a way for this to be arbitrary,” said D’Amico. “There are many arbitrary things in the world.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN