Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Poll

Question: would you have voted the same as these California residents ?

Options:

yes , I think so

No , I doubt it

Maybe /something else

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 41

View Results

When I first heard this I thought it was fur and leather etc.. I also heard it was PETA behind it all. So at first I thought it was absolutely crazy and awful. But now I am hearing it's just fur and I don't have as BIG a problem with that. My thinking is we eat beef ( leather) so it's not comparable to killing a mink ( I don't eat mink ...do you?) just for a jacket . But then again I still dislike PETA and is it right to outlaw the fur trade which employees people etc..Doesn't supply and demand keep the fur trade in check, sorta speak? -

I now don't know how I feel about the ban , I think I don't support it but I do hate thinking of little chinchillas being killed just for their fur ( which btw I would never wear)

from article I read this morning;

(ANTI-FUR) CALIFORNIA —  Following the temporary ordinance issued last week, Hollywood has officially outlawed the sale of all animal hair, skin, and fur. Hollywood is the  nation’s first city to implement such a ban, and officials are hopeful it will ignite a new anti-fur movement.
This progressive city is at the forefront of animal welfare movements, previously being the first city to ban live pet sales. The law is set to take effect June 30, 2012. Read on for more regarding this animal rights victory and how the fur industry is reacting. — Global Animal

http://www.globalanimal.org/2011/09/27/update-hollywood-fur-ban-now-reality-video/52329/

by on Nov. 22, 2011 at 9:29 AM
Replies (21-30):
Tatum2U
by Platinum Member on Nov. 22, 2011 at 9:47 AM

also the ban doesn't effect furniture type stores , so a Fur rug is Ok .

Quoting Lordgodempress:

This seems almost like a stupid political tool,  "see we ban fur, we care about how animals are treated".  They should have imposed better laws on how meat animals are treated and protecting the American public by enacting laws on what those animals are fed to make them healthier for humans.     This was a waste of time.

RaeAnne.USAF
by on Nov. 22, 2011 at 9:49 AM
Why is fur only used for a fashion accessory? I have fur lined coats and boots to keep ms warm because it gets down to -60 where I am. Between fur, down, wool, and leather that's my main wardrobe during the winter.

Quoting Tatum2U:

still getting that it does NOT ban leather??

Kaplan also questioned whether a ban supposedly motivated by concerns for animal welfare also doesn't outlaw leather, which comes from an animal’s hide.

D’Amico breaks it down to fashion versus function, noting that fur is only used as a fashion accessory, but leather has work activities connected to it in our culture.

“I’m not denying that people can find a way for this to be arbitrary,” said D’Amico. “There are many arbitrary things in the world.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
earth.whispers
by on Nov. 22, 2011 at 9:49 AM

You are correct. The skin of beef cattle is usually wasted. I've heard rumor of small-scale farmers that do make use of the skin, though... but it's very rare.

Quoting phantomphan:

And I don't think leather comes from the cattle used for beef. I could be wrong.

I am not a fan of PETA and their antics... they give vegetarians and vegans a bad name. I fully support the ban, though... even if it includes leather. There are plenty of ways to clothe ourselves without torturing and killing animals.

AnnieMcD
by on Nov. 22, 2011 at 9:50 AM
2 moms liked this

Husband once told me "know why they throw red paint on fur and not leather?" "No, why?" "Cause big ass bikers are scarier than little old ladies..." 

LOL

ladyraven16
by Platinum Member on Nov. 22, 2011 at 9:51 AM
No.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PeacefulWishing
by on Nov. 22, 2011 at 9:53 AM

It should be banned everywhere. 

phantomphan
by PrincessBcake on Nov. 22, 2011 at 9:54 AM
PETA really does go too far.

And thank you. I was fairly sure I was right about the leather.

Quoting earth.whispers:

You are correct. The skin of beef cattle is usually wasted. I've heard rumor of small-scale farmers that do make use of the skin, though... but it's very rare.

Quoting phantomphan:

And I don't think leather comes from the cattle used for beef. I could be wrong.

I am not a fan of PETA and their antics... they give vegetarians and vegans a bad name. I fully support the ban, though... even if it includes leather. There are plenty of ways to clothe ourselves without torturing and killing animals.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
weezer_cookie
by Platinum Member on Nov. 22, 2011 at 10:01 AM
I've seen videos of cats and dogs skinned alive in Korea. I have friends who were stationed in Korea who could hear the animals screaming. Their fur is passed off as other animals, and sold to unsuspecting buyers here in the U.S.

I would support a ban on fur. It's pretty horrific what those animals go through, all in the name of fashion.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LittleWorld
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 6:24 AM

Moms, I've done so much research on fur. Trust me when I tell you this, most animals that are killed for fur are alive when their skin is being ripped off their bodies and faces. The biggest industry is fur trim... most of the jackets, boots, and anything lined with fur usually comes from China. China skins alive millions of cats and dogs each year to supply the fur industry. This is the truth. The labels lie. Often times when it says "faux fur" its real! Please avoid buying anything with fur... even toys, gadgets, whatever. Its just not necessary for us to own anything with fur on it. There are mlllions of other options. Thank you!!!  

LittleWorld
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 6:33 AM

Most of the leather we see in shops around the world comes from India. The cows are used just for their skin and then tossed aside because they are too skinny to be used for anything else. The softest leather comes from baby cows :( The way these cows are treated is horrific! There are videos showing the horrors these cows go through. I would support a ban on leather in a hearbeat, but not many people would be on board, especially fashion houses like Louis Vuitton. Thank God technology is now reaching a point where scientists are growing real leather in labratories. Labratory leather is the future and I can't wait for it. Poor cows do not need to suffer like they do today just for leather. There videos that show you what cows in India go through to give us their skin. It makes me ashamed to be a human being... 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)