Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Things ER nurses wish that the public knew...

Posted by on Nov. 25, 2011 at 7:43 PM
  • 730 Replies
32 moms liked this

100.5 is not a fever and your child doesn't need to come in for that

Monistat is available over the counter. So are laxatives. So are pregnancy tests. Please try them first before coming in

I have four other patients. One is on a ventilator and cardiac drip, three are in pain, two are vomiting, and one is in stirrups waiting for me to come in for a pelvic. The doctor has four questions for me, lab is on the phone, and I have a call bell going off. Please limit your life story to three minutes or less unless it relates to your chief complaint

I know you wanted narcotics, but ibuprofen really does work well. Also, sometimes we just can't make the pain go away completely

If you have piercings and tattoos and cry about the IV, we will laugh at you at the nurse's station. Sorry

If you have had this same pain for three months, it is not an emergency

I need a clean catch urine sample. If you had me the bag back with both wipes still in it, you've done it wrong

I don't know how much longer the lab/CT/the doctor will be. I don't mind you asking, but don't get mad when I can't tell you

I'm sorry you had to wait in the waiting room, but we see people based on how sick they are and luckily for you, you aren't the sickest person here!

(ETA: I love my job and I love my patients. None of these things are meant to be mean, just true!)

by on Nov. 25, 2011 at 7:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
starmoonmom
by on Nov. 25, 2011 at 7:44 PM

Right on! Great post. Saving this for later, I am going to add to your list.

yayay15
by Ruby Member on Nov. 25, 2011 at 7:46 PM
35 moms liked this
This is why I don't give a hoot what ER nurses think. If I feel like I need to go in. I will. I never go, but still. And yes, If someone has a pain for three months it could possibly turn into an emergency because half the time doctors are too busy too dig deeper if it's something uncommon.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anotherhalf
by on Nov. 25, 2011 at 7:46 PM
3 moms liked this

I love these.  There must be more.

MissLeanna
by on Nov. 25, 2011 at 7:47 PM
16 moms liked this
And heres one for the nurses: laughing at me because I'm allergic to spiders and crying because I was bit by a black widow only makes me wanna punch you.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.KanaLee.
by on Nov. 25, 2011 at 7:47 PM
Well said.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
comf
by on Nov. 25, 2011 at 7:48 PM
5 moms liked this
I don't really like most nurses
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yayay15
by Ruby Member on Nov. 25, 2011 at 7:50 PM
3 moms liked this
If I ever saw a nurse laugh at me, I would laugh right back at them. Nurses know basic knowledge...they aren't doctors. I had some problems with my second pregnancy and the doctor wanted me induced so I could have a close watch on me. Not one nurse knew anything about my situation so I had to laugh because they didn't even understand what the hell I was being monitored for.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Halawia
by on Nov. 25, 2011 at 7:50 PM
3 moms liked this

I'd get laughed at for having tattoo and piercings? Just because someone has those things doesn't mean they don't still freak out about needles. My piercings took two seconds, my tats hurt like a bitch and I was a wussy about it the entire time. Even passed out twice during my first. Needles scare the ever loving SHIT ouf of me, but I'm not going to let it hinder what I LIKE. I dealt with those needles because I WANTED to have the stuff done.

If I don't want it in me... I'll freak out about it! lol

mommybecky
by on Nov. 25, 2011 at 7:50 PM
2 moms liked this
An hour wait in the waiting room is not a long time.

If you are complaining about the wait, you obviously have no idea how an ER operates.

No, the 5 people you brought with you may not all be in your room at once. Other patients aren't feeling so jovial and really do want some quiet. Plus, it isn't fun to answer the same question 5 times.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Punkslilncs
by on Nov. 25, 2011 at 7:54 PM
7 moms liked this

Things I wish the nurses knew, when I say a vein will blow it will blow. When I say she vomits I don't mean spit up and next time you ask I will hold her five feet from you as she spews vomit and blood on you. When I say I can't breath it is not time to ask me 20 questions or for the love of god give me a pen and paper. When I have a migrain I do not want benedryl the strongest dosage possible. I have a 4 year old austic child at home and a new born both of them are sickly as am I. I do not want to hear OH it's you again. I wish I could not be sick.. I wish I could die but hey for some reason I'm still here 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)