Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is the term "helicopter parent" supposed to be an insult? **edit**

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 10:23 AM
  • 132 Replies
2 moms liked this

I see it thrown at moms like a dagger, especially here.

I am what the world of CM would consider a helicopter mom, I guess. It's for the well-being of my DD, so it's not a bad thing. Do I want to be...no, not really, but then I wouldn't be a good mom.

Okay, this post was revived after nearly 3 months! Let me clarify...I meant if I'm not a helicopter mom to MY Dd, I'm not being a good mom to HER. She is special needs, and without going into detail or this could get very long, I wish I didn't have to be, but I do. So I don't see it as a bad thing.

In no way do I think mothers, who don't have to helicopter, are not good parents; in fact, I'm a bit jealous of them.
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 10:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
laurenanne0110
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 10:25 AM
I'm a helicopter parent too
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rockinmomto2
14 moms liked this

I think that helicopter parenting is detrimental to the development of children. I am a GREAT mom and I am not a helicopter parent. I don't fuss over every boo boo, and I give them their independence. I comfort my kids when they need it, and cuddle them when they want it. But I do not hover.

Mandymb
4 moms liked this
what in the world is a helicopter mom??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
arkansasmama08
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 10:26 AM
4 moms liked this
Yep, I agree. Theres nothing wrong with knowing where your kid is, what their doing, and being there to supervise and guide them :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
T-HoneyLuv
I was wondering the same thing!! LOL.

Quoting Mandymb:

what in the world is a helicopter mom??

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.shank.
I don't think it's intended as a compliment.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
spunky946
by Platinum Member on Nov. 26, 2011 at 10:26 AM
4 moms liked this
I think that a lot of people on here view being a helicopter parent as potentially stunting the emotional and maturity if your children as the get older. Never letting your child be independent IMO is harmful.
momma2b2008
2 moms liked this
I think it is. I honstly don't understand why parents feel the need to hoover over their children. Kids need to learn consequences and thats something they will never learn with their parents hovering over them!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momma2b2008
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 10:28 AM
3 moms liked this
That's not a hilocopter parent, that's a responsible parent!

Quoting arkansasmama08:

Yep, I agree. Theres nothing wrong with knowing where your kid is, what their doing, and being there to supervise and guide them :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sheryllinn
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 10:28 AM
3 moms liked this

The issue is that there is a fine line between caring for your children and under exposing your children to making mistakes and learning from them. We as mothers have to know when to cuddle and care ...and when to let them learn on thier own with minimal guidance. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)