Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I lost my mind on Black Friday

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 10:27 AM
  • 19 Replies

We didn't intend to do any Black Friday shopping, but my mother-in-law looked at her family ring yesterday, and she realized that she'd lost another stone.  Since the jewelry store where we had originally purchased it for her was open yesterday we decided to make the hike downtown to get it fixed.

The whole family trots into the jewelry store.  Our daughter is looking at all of the jewelry that's at the perfect height for a four year old to drool over.  We're wandering around while they're writing up the fix it ticket for the ring.  My daughter asks, "Mom, can I have that necklace on my Christmas list?".  I ask which one she wants, and her answer is "the sparkly, pink one".  Yeah, right, the $5,000 pink sapphire and diamond necklace.  My response, "no honey, that one isn't going on your Christmas list". 

So we keep wandering, and she spies some earrings in the case.  "Mommy, I really do want my ears pierced.  Once I get them, can I come back here and pick out a pair of earrings?", she asked.  Well, the store is closing.  My husband goes, "let her pick out a pair".  So, I go through and choose three pairs on clearance that she can choose from - a pair of tiny diamonds for $60, a pair of emerald cross earrings for $90, and a pair of rhodolite earrings shaped like a flower for $114.  Yeah, they're expensive for a four year old, but not super expensive.  She climbs up on a chair, and she looks at each one.  She picks them up, twists them, turns them, explores them from every angle.  She finally chooses the ones that look like a flower.

We take them over to the cash register, and Theresa starts ringing them up.  She fills out the form for the insurance company.  "Rhodolite earrings, 2.12 carats", Theresa says as she writes it down.  OMG.  I just bought earrings that are over a carat each for my 4 year old.

Yep, I lost my mind.  Not only are they over a carat each, we doubled her Christmas budget.

What impulse buy did you have yesterday?

by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 10:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 10:30 AM
They are pretty. How did she do with the whole piercing experience?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 10:31 AM

No impulse buys for us yesterday. We went out to the Yankee Candle Flagship store and let the kids make candles, pick out new ornaments and then we went to the mall. I really didn't find much...except a new wardrope for my 11yo in Aero.

by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 10:32 AM

They're beautiful.  How often do you splurge on her?

by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 10:33 AM

Those are really cute! I have no problem ith expensive earrings for kids, my 3 year old has been wearing real diamonds since she was 2.

No impulse purchases yesterday, I was good, LOL!

by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 10:37 AM

Hey if you can afford it, do it. My BF impulse buy was a $20 Dora table and chair set from WM for DD. It was worth it though. :)

by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 10:42 AM
We online shopped....we bought about $600 worth of stuff for the truck....a truck bed cover(on sale), air filter, nerf bars(cause I will start to have a hard time getting in it soon) and 2 mud flaps(one of ours broke)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 10:42 AM

impulse buy - Incredibly cute bikini from victorias secret on clearance..

its incentive to lose the baby weight after I have this lil guy in january :)

by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 10:47 AM

Replacing our digital camera. My nice one broke, and MIL gave us an older one she had because DD2 was just due any day at that point so we needed a camera, but it doesn't take the best pics and it eats double a batteries for I bought a new digital camera on impluse. Kind of kicking myself for spending the money now, but it was a good deal at least

by Ruby Member on Nov. 26, 2011 at 11:02 AM

My husband got a $20 air hawk helicopter. Those earings are beautiful.

by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 11:07 AM

Those are pretty.

The question for me is, what impulse buy DIDN'T I have yesterday?   lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)