Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Morning sickness is gone but now have flu-like symptoms

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 10:42 AM
  • 16 Replies

I haven't actually vomited in about 2 days. Every so often I feel nauseated but it's not like it was.  I've had fevers on and off for weeks, and I've just been taking Tylenol. But, they keep coming back. On Turkey day I developed a really bad sore throat. Before then, I hadn't been coughing, sneezing, had no stuffy nose or anything. But now, I have all of the above. I was told I can have some Robitussin, but it doesn't seem to be helping much. I've been drinking decaf tea to help with the sore throat, and I keep cough drops with me.

Any advice on what I can do without taking a bunch of medicine?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 10:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
karmasabitch178
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 10:47 AM
Idk sorry bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sheryllinn
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 10:47 AM

sounds like allergies to me, not the flu. and robutussin is usually just for the cough unless you get the combo meds. Take a benedryl. Its safe while pregnant. 

alwayskk
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 10:48 AM

For your sinuses, get a neti pot. They're very helpful. You can google youtube videos to figure out how to use it.

For your chest congestion, this is a really easy at home recipe for a natural expectorant:

In a small pot, bring to boil 3 cups of water.

Wash a lemon and place in boiling water for 4 minutes, remove lemon and put aside.

Add to the boiling water a handful of fresh crushed thyme, let boil for 4 minutes.

You can scoop the thyme out, or leave it in there. I leave it in there.

Add a bag of your favorite tea- preferably caffeine-free (decaf still has caffeine in it) and let steep for 3 minutes, then slice lemon and squeeze into tea. You can add some brandy or bourbon if you want to turn it into a hot tottie, but this recipe is really good for thinning out that mucuous so that you can breathe and/or have a more productive cough.

“The value of compassion cannot be over-emphasized. Anyone can criticize. It takes a true believer to be compassionate. No greater burden can be borne by an individual than to know no one cares or understands.” ~Arthur H. Stainbeck

Bigdreamer10
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 10:52 AM

I'm thinking it's my allergies too, but my dad says it's the flu since I also have chills, fever, and body-ache.

Quoting Sheryllinn:

sounds like allergies to me, not the flu. and robutussin is usually just for the cough unless you get the combo meds. Take a benedryl. Its safe while pregnant. 

Bigdreamer10
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 10:52 AM

Thank you! May try that recipe.

Quoting alwayskk:

For your sinuses, get a neti pot. They're very helpful. You can google youtube videos to figure out how to use it.

For your chest congestion, this is a really easy at home recipe for a natural expectorant:

In a small pot, bring to boil 3 cups of water.

Wash a lemon and place in boiling water for 4 minutes, remove lemon and put aside.

Add to the boiling water a handful of fresh crushed thyme, let boil for 4 minutes.

You can scoop the thyme out, or leave it in there. I leave it in there.

Add a bag of your favorite tea- preferably caffeine-free (decaf still has caffeine in it) and let steep for 3 minutes, then slice lemon and squeeze into tea. You can add some brandy or bourbon if you want to turn it into a hot tottie, but this recipe is really good for thinning out that mucuous so that you can breathe and/or have a more productive cough.

Sheryllinn
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 10:56 AM

If the allergies have turned into a sinus infection, that could totally explain those symptoms. Your immune system is weakened by pregnancy and can react strangely to even the most minor illnesses. generally the flu doesnt last for weeks. usually 2 weeks MAX.  but if you want to be extra cautious , you can go to a urgen care clinic this weekend for a flu test, or wait until monday to be seen by your reg. doc. I hope you get to feeling better!

Quoting Bigdreamer10:

I'm thinking it's my allergies too, but my dad says it's the flu since I also have chills, fever, and body-ache.

Quoting Sheryllinn:

Bigdreamer10
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 11:08 AM

Thank you!

Quoting Sheryllinn:

If the allergies have turned into a sinus infection, that could totally explain those symptoms. Your immune system is weakened by pregnancy and can react strangely to even the most minor illnesses. generally the flu doesnt last for weeks. usually 2 weeks MAX.  but if you want to be extra cautious , you can go to a urgen care clinic this weekend for a flu test, or wait until monday to be seen by your reg. doc. I hope you get to feeling better!

Quoting Bigdreamer10:

Quoting Sheryllinn:

Santina25
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 11:18 AM
Have u had mono before?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bigdreamer10
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 11:21 AM

No.

Quoting Santina25:

Have u had mono before?

Santina25
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 11:27 AM
If you don't feel better soon, you might wanna get tested for it! I had it (still have it) and its about the same symptoms and it lasts forever... I'm going on 4 months....

Quoting Bigdreamer10:

No.

Quoting Santina25:

Have u had mono before?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)