Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Thanksgiving disaster rant.

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 4:54 PM
  • 28 Replies

I invited my friend and her family over for Thanksgiving dinner because they usually have it alone. They said they already bought the turkey so I said okay bring it over, I'll cook it up and I have everything else covered. They were more than happy to and they would bring a pie over. I was up until 2:30 am prepping everything so that I could have more time socializing with them. The next day when they came over and everything was ready ready to go in the oven, I had just finished cleaning thinking oh yes finally I can get off my feet and hang out after being in the kitchen all night and day. They showed up with a huge thing of yams, smoked doggies, rolls and a bunch of other crap to pop in the oven. I already had all these things. At first I thought wow that was so generous of them but rubbed me the wrong way is that brought it without saying anything they left it on the counter and went and sat down. My friend stood next to me talking my ear off while I was cooking all their food and her daughter kept asking me questions the whole time. I asked her if she wouldn't mind helping me because my hands were so full and she started telling me how to cook everything! Some of this stuff took an hour to cook. I don't think she understood me. Is she not aware of how hard it is to cook like 6 different things with no room left on top of the other stuff I already was cooking and carry on a conversation? I was so overwhelmed and scatterbrained. Then when I took the turkey out, my friend noticed I left the giblets in the neck part where I couldn't reach it and I felt like a total dipshit and rather than giving me grace she made a huge stink about it. SO embarassing. I really searched for that sucker I don't know HOW she found it. I asked my SO if he would carve the turkey and he straight up told me no!  Anyway by the time the food was done everything tasted awful and undercooked because I had to jam it all in at the last minute. NOBODY thanked me for cooking, not even my SO. My friends DH was a cook at cattlemens and he gave me some crap about the pie I made cuz it didn't have a pretty presentation. I was so embarassed that I stopped eating and didn't say anything because I didn't want to criticize it and make them feel uncomfortable like they had to compliment the food. I tried to play it off and we all were drinking, having a good time and then as soon as they finished eating they spoke to their daughter about getting ready to leave. I got up and started cleaning the kitchen and washing the pans they brought over. My friend took her pans out to their car and never helped me clean a single dish that wasn't hers. Since she seemed to want to leave quickly I gave her a few large ziplock bags and told her she can take divide out whatever she wants to take home. She took very little food I had made and took every last bit of her food home without offering any leftovers for us.

.Sorry I just had to vent. I feel like I was doomed to fail because not a single adult there offered to help not even my SO. Then on top of that they didn't even help clean up and just bailed. After they left all I wanted to do is crawl under a rock. I am normally a great cook but this was just ALL bad.... :(

by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 4:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 4:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Did you talk to you friend about it? If my friend acted like that she wouldn't be my friend much longer!

by Stefanie on Nov. 26, 2011 at 5:26 PM
That bites! I'm sorry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 5:31 PM
You should say something to all of them! I probably wouldnt be hanging out with them much anymore.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 5:34 PM

lol, I would of been, someone help me or no one is eating. Knowing me, I would of left the kitchen. You also didn't have to cook her stuff. She could of taken it back home and cooked it.

My It Works! Progress (started November 2011):
1st Wrap on stomach: 2.5 inches lost after 1 hour. 4.75 inches lost after 72 hours.
1st wrap on thigh: 1.5 inches lost
Weight loss: 4 pounds!

by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 5:36 PM

Live and Learn. Soooooooo many ungrateful people in this world. 

by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 5:57 PM

you should have made your hubby get up off his ass to help or said to your friend that she needed to cook her own food because you had already done your job.  

by Evil Food Lady on Nov. 26, 2011 at 6:02 PM

Wow what assholes!  :(  I'm sorry you had to deal with that.  Lesson learned.  Never OFFER to cook for them again!

by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 6:03 PM

by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 6:05 PM

:( sorry that sounds awful.

by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 6:12 PM

I'm sorry.  :( That sounds awful.  I'd be heartbroken, too.  Your friend sounds like a jerk.  Who does crap like that??

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)