Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Well that's not right.

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 9:00 PM
  • 23 Replies
Just found out, at my 10-year old stepson's primary residence, he is not only allowed to use the stove when he is home alone, babysitting his 5 year old sister, he is often expected to make dinner. This disturbs me because I just watched him try to make Ramen with the microwave and he couldn't measure water.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 9:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Nov. 26, 2011 at 9:05 PM

Hmm what kind of things is he making on stove?  Does he say?  I would work with him on safety skills regarding any appliances used in cooking..  Also can work on measuring things out.   I personally just put alot of water in a dish with the noodles and seasoning when i nuke ramen, no measuring used.

silverdawn99
by Jamie on Nov. 26, 2011 at 9:05 PM

eeekk i didnt think you were allowed to be home alone babysitting unless you were 12 or so

that is so very scary

momma2rhylee
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 9:06 PM
Here kids can't be left until a certain age
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
abstractmommy
by Ruby Member on Nov. 26, 2011 at 9:08 PM
Mac n cheese, hamburger helper, and "frozen stuff", he says.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Hmm what kind of things is he making on stove?  Does he say?  I would work with him on safety skills regarding any appliances used in cooking..  Also can work on measuring things out.   I personally just put alot of water in a dish with the noodles and seasoning when i nuke ramen, no measuring used.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
seraphimsong
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 9:10 PM
Not cool!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ishie4ever
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 9:10 PM
Here you can't legally babysit until the age of 13.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PookaboosMom
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 9:12 PM
That was one of the big reasons we were granted custody of my stepkids, because they were 9-13 and expected to cook their own meals and often burnt themselves....they were considered malnourished(yet overweight) because all they got was junk. The youngest and oldest both had huge stomach issues from the crap they survived on.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nerys-Kianna
by Gold Member on Nov. 26, 2011 at 9:13 PM

Wow, that's not right at all. He's way to young to babysit and to be alone with his sister. And he shouldn't even be using the stove, who knows what can happen.

ffirsttimemommy
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 9:13 PM
Hmmmmm
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
incognito116
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 9:26 PM

Quoting Nerys-Kianna:

Wow, that's not right at all. He's way to young to babysit and to be alone with his sister. And he shouldn't even be using the stove, who knows what can happen.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)