Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I wish they didn't treat me like I dont know anything. -vent-

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:02 AM
  • 2 Replies

So I've been working in a daycare setting for about 4 years now. I'm 23 & I've been babysitting since I was 15. I know how to take care of pretty much every age group, I'm certified in CPR/First Aid, I took my CDA test last month & I am very confident that I passed.

I worked at one center on post for 3.5 years but due to SO & I minimizing down to one car we decided to try to get me transfered to the daycare on post closer to the house, I got on over there with no problems.

So they have me in a preschool room, I'm in there every day from 2-6. I'm so irritated because the lead acts like I've never worked in a daycare setting before. I told her that I was pretty much the assistant lead at the center I was at before, I did a lot of the lead's responsibilities because she was out often. I know how to open/close a room, I know how to speak to the parents in a nice, caring, professional manner, I know how to deal with behavioral children, I know how to fill out all the forms, I know how to do classroom planning, I know fifty million games/activities/songs to do with kids. But yet she wont let me do anything! I asked if I could start helping out with observations or planning & she says no.

I didn't do my flippin CDA just to do nothing. I ENJOY doing planning & stuff like that. I just hate feeling like I went from being an assitant lead to nothing. Its like nothing I do is good enough for her & everything has to be done HER way. She told me that if I had an idea of how to do something we could try it out & see how it worked, but she wont ever even give me a chance. The ONLY thing she's let me done so far is put up a tooth brush chart so parents can see that the children are actually getting their teeth brushed. Thats it.

Ugh.. if it were you & you were being held back from something that you loved doing would you speak to management about it? I know I'm new.. but it doesn't mean I'm stupid & have no idea what I'm doing. I'm sorry I havent been at this for 20+ years but still.. I'm good at what I do. Let me do it! Gah.

Ok, vent over. I just REALLY needed to get that out!

*Btw-I've given breaks in other rooms & the teachers are always telling me how much they love having me in the room because I know what I'm doing & that I do so well with the children & help out with everything, how they'd love for me to be part of their room & how they are upset that I'm in a room already. I just hate feeling so unappreciated. :/

by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
MommaGreenhalge
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:14 AM

I totally get it.  I transferred from one store to a store that was just opening a few years ago, and I was treated exactly like the new associates who were mostly in high school and working their first job.  I've been doing this job and doing it well for about ten years now, and that was the only manager I had who treated me like I didn't have a clue.  He was younger than me, and the youngest manager in the chain, so he thought he had something to prove.  Especially after I had my son, I was persona non grata with him. 

lovinmykiddo07
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:16 AM

Quoting MommaGreenhalge:

I totally get it.  I transferred from one store to a store that was just opening a few years ago, and I was treated exactly like the new associates who were mostly in high school and working their first job.  I've been doing this job and doing it well for about ten years now, and that was the only manager I had who treated me like I didn't have a clue.  He was younger than me, and the youngest manager in the chain, so he thought he had something to prove.  Especially after I had my son, I was persona non grata with him. 

Yeah my lead drives me up the wall. She never writes up incident reports & sweeps a lot of stuff under the rug to make it seem like the children behave better for her in the morning than they do for me in the afternoon. I, on the other hand, keep it real. If there is a problem that needs to be addressed, I'll address it. We are getting another staff in the afternoon & she told her that we need someone with a "firm hand" in the afternoon because there are just too many incidents. Seriously?!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)