Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Christmas present ideas.. Gerbil or Hamster?

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:04 AM
  • 36 Replies

My son ( 7yo) wants a pet.  I think he is ready for his own pet now.  I will have to teach him a few things and help him out and I am OK with that, but for the most part I think he is ready.  I am wanting to start with small animals.  I looked at guinea pigs, but they are 70 dollars for one, and for a starter pet, I just wouldn't think that would be a great idea.  Not that I expect something to happen, but who knows right.. and when your kid is 16, and just got his license you typically don't run out and buy him an 80,000 car, right lol.  Same thing here.

So now I am looking into gerbils or hamsters.  Which would you recommend for a 7 yo? 

I myself have had a few hamsters when I was around his age ( a little older, but not by much).. I am not sure if they would be a bit much for him or not.  I am looking for something that would eventually warm up to him.  One that's a little easier to please and to take care of ( remember I will be helping him) and one that is less likely to bite.  I have never taken care of a gerbil, so it would be a learning experience for the both of us.

Please give me an idea of which one you would choose for a 7 yo boy.  Pros vs cons.. any advice anything.  Thanks =)

by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cypris420
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:05 AM

I'd go with hamster.  I've found in my experience that gerbils are more hyper, faster, less friendly, etc.   

rocketrider2011
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:06 AM

hamster

lady_kira
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:06 AM

I had a gerbil, I used to pick him up by his tail and drop him in a running ball because I was afraid he'd bite me.... yeah in retrospect I probably shouldn't have done that but I was a kid. Anyway, so I'm going to say hamster just to eliminate any urge to pick the little guy up by his long tail.

Jaxsonsmama2009
by Silver Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:07 AM
1 mom liked this
Yikes. I can't imagine willingly bringing a rodent into my house, I battle mice all winter out here in the country! Lol. Honestly I would probably go with the guinea pig. I know they are more expensive but I think it would be more likely to warm up to him. They are easier to bond with, for me mainly because they are bigger and snugglier.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2ljh
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:07 AM

Believe it or not, rats are about the best small animal pet for young kids.  They're really friendly, love to play, are fairly sturdy and are easy to care for.  If the idea doesn't completely creep you out, I would strongly consider getting a rat.

happygolucky106
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:07 AM

Hampster---yes.....

Logan_Bellasmom
by Falling Starr on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:08 AM
A rat..they are better and they don't bite like hamsters and gerbils and rats are more cuddly and friendly
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hartbrayka
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:09 AM

omg that is so gross, lmao

Quoting mom2ljh:

Believe it or not, rats are about the best small animal pet for young kids.  They're really friendly, love to play, are fairly sturdy and are easy to care for.  If the idea doesn't completely creep you out, I would strongly consider getting a rat.

cypris420
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:10 AM

Quoting mom2ljh:

Good call.  I had several rats (and hamsters before them) and the rats were much more social, trainable and all around lovable.

belleandelismom
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:10 AM
Hamster. Just not a dwarf hamster. They're fun to watch, but those suckers bite like crazy. I had one and named him Dr. Evil...lol. My faves are the teddy bear hamsters. My Lucy was the sweetest and she loved her ball and used to follow me round while she was in it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)