Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Iphone users... BEWARE!

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:24 AM
  • 3 Replies

For the second time in less than a week, an Apple iPhone 4 has reportedly exploded, this time in Brazil, according to Mashable.

The phone, which was plugged in for an overnight charge, suddenly began sparking and emitting smoke while it was just inches from its owner's face.

The owner, Brazilian Ayla Paulo Mota told the Portuguese language blog TechTudo that he was not hurt during the incident, despite his close proximity to the phone.

Editors at The Huffington Post U.K. translated Mota's comments into English:

"At dawn, I woke up seconds before witnessing the burning of my iPhone when I saw a lot of sparks and black smoke out of the cell. My room was full with an unbearable smell of smoke! At that moment, I turned off the power switch in the room to remove the phone from the outlet."

Last week, a similar incident occurred aboard a regional Australian airliner shortly before landing in Sydney. Officials from the airline company Regional Express described the incident as a "mobile phone self combustion" in which an iPhone began to glow red and emit a "significant amount of dense smoke."

Mashable also writes that in 2009 a French teenager claimed to have been hit in the eye with a glass splinter from an exploding iPhone. CBS News reported on the incident in a video which can be seen below.

Responding to the Australian incident, Apple spokeswoman Natalie Harrison told the the Associated Press that her company was looking forward to "working with the officials investigating this incident."

Apple has yet to issue a response to the latest incident.

by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Logan_Bellasmom
by Falling Starr on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:27 AM
Any electrical device has the possibility of a wiring malfunction and doing that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2_3blessings
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:28 AM
Ya ya ... Probably faulty house wiring
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweet.lil.mama
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:28 AM
Glad I have my Samsung...I love my Droid :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)