Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Speech impaired or speech delay

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:32 AM
  • 6 Replies

I am writing a paper for school, on educating a speech impaired  and speech delayed child. I am hoping to get ideas and view points from other parents and teachers of children with this struggles. What teaching method worked, did teachers treat child differently. If you could share your story I would appreciate it so much

by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:48 AM

I dont have any children with this right now.  I would think you could teach a child with a speech delay the same things as a child who does not but it would be hard to get the verbal answers you need to hear for feedback from the child.

b0bbied0ll
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:52 AM
My son is only 2 1/2 and we have a speech therapist that comes to work with him. It's pretty much the same thing you would do with any child in nornal play. The idea is that you have to make the child want to use their words and you just repeat stuff over and over as you play. Eventually the child will at least attempt to say what it is.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bellawomen
by Summer on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:59 AM

I work with delayed preschoolers, so I have some speech delayed children.  I am assuming you are asking about children who are not delayed receptively, just expressively.

I work with them on their individual levels.  For me, I find the most beneficial method is one on one time with a speech therapist separate from small group setting.  The biggest thing I focus is on having the child look at my face and my mouth specifically because children learn best from modeling.  Repeition and set schedules help the most.  I am by no means a speech therapist, but I have to work with the children on their expressive development.  When some effort is made to use words, praise it given!

annaica
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:05 AM
OMG the most amazing program called jolly phonics! That is what they used in kindergarten. My son had speech therapy for apraxia since He was one and after jolly phonics, He just stopped making errors. Every now and then it happens, because He has apraxia and that is expected.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Achromia
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:13 AM
We had such communication problems because of it. Sign language helped with this. It also raised his vocabulary.
With speech, it helps to never talk in a baby cutsey way with your kids. Talk to them just as you would an adult. Then when they mispronounce a word have them repeat it with focus on the part of the word they are having difficulty with. My youngest clicks at the end of a word so we have to focus on ending sounds. Sometimes beginning sound that begin in certain letters, like S.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pink.princess87
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:32 AM
Dd is only 21 months, but we'll be using sign language to help her express her needs, wants and feelings. As of right now, i do a lot of guessing on all 3... she understands us clearly and follows directions... I'm interested to see what helped other children also.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)