Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you have a budget for Christmas presents for the kids?

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 7:47 AM
  • 34 Replies

How many kids do you have and what's your budget per child?

Last year I spend pretty close to $1000 for all 3 of them.  It wasn't more of a budget per child, but to even them out with presents so one didn't think they got less than the other.  However, my DH and I want to teach them Christmas is not ALL about presents.  So we would love to do some volunteer work, although I have young children, so that might be a bit hard to do atm. 

My DH told me this year, our budget is $150 per child for presents and that's not including stocking stuffers or shared presents.  IDK how I will make it work...maybe $200 per child I could have, but I will find a way. :) 

Edit:  So I finished Christmas shopping yesterday and I spent about $550 for my 3 kiddos this year and very proud of myself.  I usually go crazy overboard when I'm shopping for them but did great yesterday (first and last shopping day this year).  I did put some "extras" in my cart, but 'checked' myself and put them back. :) 

Crystal  Mommy to 3 INCREDIBLE kids and wife to my High School Sweetheart! 

Happy Holidays!!!  (my FAVORITE time of year)

by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 7:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
anetrnlov
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 7:49 AM

We have three and we really don't have a budget.  The kids only asked for one thing each for Christmas so they are getting that and more but I am sure we haven't spent 200.00 per kid.

Maybe I am wrong....hubby saw and says he thinks we've spent 200.00 per kid. lol

crafty_love
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 7:49 AM

I have one kid. While on the system, I have a "less than 50 dollar budget" unless I get spare money. But I finally am getting a bit of child support so....maybe I can go up to the full 50 bucks.

Thank god my boyfriend likes to buy him stuff. :) He has 3 plus my boy he buys for. Normally he spends 100-200 per kid...this year it's going to be about 75 per kid.

beerebelly
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 7:51 AM

We have 4 kids.  I don't have a budget really, but I would say we spend around $1200 total for them.

3xangel
by Ruby Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 7:52 AM
We have 3 kids, but we don't have a budget yet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
christina0607
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 7:55 AM

No I don't. I have  money set a side to shop. I won't spend it all, but I also won't keep track of what is spent on each child. I do the kids the same amount of things each.

lovinlife0607
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:00 AM

That's what I normally do, Christina0607, but DH told me we have a budget this time.  I did the kmart layaway last year and we all know Kmart is more expensive than Walmart or Target and sometimes even ToyRus.  :)  But no layaway this year and I get to spend money where I want to shop at. DH knows I can go overboard for them sometimes and said we had a budget this year so we didn't go crazy. LOL

TaralynnStewart
by Silver Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:04 AM
I am done shopping. Besides stocking stuffers. I got what was on their list and shopped around for best deals/ online and in store or got it on black friday. I spent about 500 on the both of them, including a new tv and a bike, (they are 9 and2) and they have 11 gifts to open from santa. They already started recv' gifts from family Out of state that are already under the tree.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
raegansmom
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:08 AM

I only have one child.  We do not have a budget.  We buy her what she wants.  It works for us.  I'm sure I would worry more about budgets if I had multiple children.

joni80
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:15 AM

We have 3 and I have spent over a $1000 this year. My hubby told me not to go crazy again like last year but no such luck on his part:) Of course $800 of that is the treehouse/playhouse that is being built for them. A pic of the starting point, it will be 7ft high and there will be swings attached to the other side, so that metal one will be gone. I wanted to have a slid for them to come off of but we would need a 14ft slid which is $469 and with everything I got I think a slid will be on the back burner for now.

ddhb2007
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 9:06 AM
It was $100 originally. I was going to stand firm, but my husband ended up doubling it the other day. We prefer to spend money doing things instead of on presents.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)