Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is wrong with this

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:10 AM
  • 21 Replies

Rep. Jackie Speier (D-Calif.) along with eight other congressional Democrats are eating on a budget of about $4.50 a day to show solidarity with food stamp recipients who receive $32.59 a week.

The personal thrift, which is part of a challenge organized by Fighting Poverty With Faith, was reported by Pacifica Patch. The site also listed the food items that Speier was now buying.

Speier displayed some of the items she was able to purchase for her first day of living on a food stamp budget: a bag of coffee and a loaf of bread from the Dollar Warehouse; a can of Campbell's low sodium chicken noodle soup; and a can of sweet peas, possibly to put in a tuna casserole later in the week.

"And this is my treat for the week," Speier said, holding up a box of microwave popcorn packets.

Rep. Joe Courtney (D-Conn.), along with his wife and daughter, chose to live on a food stamp budget of about $1.59 per meal. He tweeted about the challenge, relaying that he ate "generic cereal and part of a banana for breakfast."

Food stamps have been a target of Republican-led budget cuts

It is called SUPPLAMENTAL assistance. It is NOT meant to be the only source of food. You are supposed to use your OWN money as well.

I don't know how they expect to be able to continue to pay for a program that is growing so fast, when only 53% of all Americans actually pay any taxes. Where is the money going to come from?

by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KelliansMom
by Gold Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:14 AM
2 moms liked this

im glad they are trying to live of a fs budget ...that might help the reconnect with over half of their voters and see what the real american deals with ... and yes it ment to supplament but for many its the only source of money for food 

Susan262
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:24 AM
2 moms liked this

Well, I understand it is a supplement and you should be using your own money as well as food stamps. So what about laundry soap, dish soap, body soap, toilet paper, shampoo, and those other kinds of things that you can't afford.

Tea4Tas
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:25 AM

Quoting KelliansMom:

im glad they are trying to live of a fs budget ...that might help the reconnect with over half of their voters and see what the real american deals with ... and yes it ment to supplament but for many its the only source of money for food 

That is untrue. If their unemployment ran out, they would be eligible for TANF-assuming they hadn't used up all of the TNF they are allowed in a lifetime.

Tea4Tas
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:26 AM

Quoting Susan262:

Well, I understand it is a supplement and you should be using your own money as well as food stamps. So what about laundry soap, dish soap, body soap, toilet paper, shampoo, and those other kinds of things that you can't afford.

Is it the government's responsability to provide all of that for you?  Or are you supposed to provide for yourself?  Where does it end?

Deedah86
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:27 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crafty_love

and what if you don't have money to "suppliment" the foodstamps? Then I guess everyone just goes hungry?

what about the little bit of Cash aid some get...that has to buy things for the house that FS doesn't cover....like toilet paper to wipe your ass, laundry soap, body soap, deodorant..oh the list goes on.

I'm sick and tired of hearing people say that it's a suppliment and not supposed to be the only source for food purchases!

crafty_love

Well in a perfect world, everyone would have a job. But the world isn't perfectly pretend now is it?

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Quoting Susan262:

Is it the government's responsability to provide all of that for you?  Or are you supposed to provide for yourself?  Where does it end?

I am solely responsible for the words that come out of my mouth.

I am not responsible for how others choose to interpret it.

Luv.My.Kidz
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:28 AM
1 mom liked this

that's where "welfare" comes into play according to some people.

I'm sorry but when you get $454 for a family of 3 a month, and your rent is $200 a month (low income) and you have gas, electric, etc. you WON'T have enough to buy other neccessities. I'm a firm believer that the system sets people up for failure to stay on it. 

Quoting Susan262:

Luv.My.Kidz
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:30 AM

have you ever been on PA Tea4Tas? If not, you OBVIOUSLY have no clue how lil' people get and have to work with. Cash assistance is not supplimental. You can't make any other income while receiving it. There for you have to live off of $454 a month for a family of 3.... doesn't seem fair does it?

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Quoting Susan262:

crafty_love
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:31 AM

you are right! And when one gets a job, they don't bother giving a cushion or grace period. They insist you are over paid that month...even if you get a job towards the end of the month....and collect if you have to go back on cash assistance from the loss of said job.

It's a nasty cycle that keeps a person stuck. Then they make a person do these shitty job workshops that costs a ton of money in gas and they only reimburse a few cents a mile. Granted it's better than nothing, but coming up with the gas money in the first place isn't easy.

Bahhh!

Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

that's where "welfare" comes into play according to some people.

I'm sorry but when you get $454 for a family of 3 a month, and your rent is $200 a month (low income) and you have gas, electric, etc. you WON'T have enough to buy other neccessities. I'm a firm believer that the system sets people up for failure to stay on it. 

Quoting Susan262:

I am solely responsible for the words that come out of my mouth.

I am not responsible for how others choose to interpret it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)