Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are You In the 'Sandwich' Generation?

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:14 AM
  • 23 Replies

caught between raising kids, and taking care of mom and dad?  its one of the hardest things to go thru if you dont have proper help.

by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mackenzie40
by Platinum Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:15 AM

yeah . It's also one of the most rewarding things though =)

MIA0223
by Ruby Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:15 AM

Taking care of DD and my Mommom these past 2 weeks, I agree 100%.
My aunt has her full time, but I took over while she was on vacation. It was more than difficult. I had no help. I feel for those who are. I am there a few weeks a year taking care of her, it's hard!

emmy526
by Emmy on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:16 AM

Quoting Mackenzie40:

yeah . It's also one of the most rewarding things though =)

i guess that would depend on the situation...

ladyraven16
by Platinum Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:20 AM
No thank goodness. I can imagine how hard that would be though! I'm sorry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anetrnlov
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:22 AM

No, my parents are in their late 50s and healthier than they were in their 30s and 40s but I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up caring for hubby's mom....her health hasn't been good since he was a pre-teen.

orcadarwin
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:23 AM

That's the main reason that I can not work.  I have to take care of my parents and my kids at all hours of the day.  My parents are disabled and now my mom has lost the hearing in her left ear.  She's been dizzy the past week and nauseous.  So, I go over to clean and cook something for them to just heat up later.  My sister lives with them, but she's useless as usually.  She does nothing but go to work and go back to the house to her room.  I do the shopping and the numerous trips to the doctor, plus the cooking and cleaning for them.  Then I come home and do my own cooking and cleaning, and take care of the kids, getting them to school and home from school, to doctor appointments, scouts, after school things.  

It is very difficult, very exhausting, but I wouldn't trade it for the world.  I enjoy my kids and my life.  My parents took care of me for 18+ years, so it's now my turn to take care of them.  I feel that's what we as children need to do when our parents get to the point of not being able to take care of themselves.

countrymom0707
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:24 AM
Yep, I have my dd that is 8, and my dad that is totally dependent since his stroke last year. My mom is going back to work so I will be in charge of making sure my dad is taken care of, he can not walk or use anything on the left side of his body, so we have to help him with everything. Thank goodness my daughter is pretty self sufficient and spends her time reading!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jujubear1
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:25 AM
My dad passed away about nine months ago and it took all of us to take care of him the last year or so. Mom, my brothers and me. Very difficult to juggle everything, not to mentioned watching the strongest person you ever knew get weaker and weaker. He eventually had to go to a nursing home, even the home help that came every day wasn't enough.

Sorry for the life story, but you get the point.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
karmasabitch178
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:26 AM
No dh parents are dead and my parents are healthy except my dad has diabetes and gout.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
beerebelly
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:32 AM

Nope.  My parents are in their 50's and both doing well healthwise.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)