Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

dyslexics etinu!

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 10:55 AM
  • 34 Replies

Lol I'm severely dyslexic and I know many of you are too. I know many people have children with dyslexia as well. Let's share stories and coping skills!
One trick I have is to order large print books from the library. They are always available, because no one else wants them and way easier for me to read. I also sometime use a plain solid colored book mark to cover the space below what I'm reading.

This is a cool web page that has some great ways to help understand dyslexia

Photobucket
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 10:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SoltaniMommy
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 10:58 AM
I have an idea that my son may be dyslexic. How do you go about having that challenged?
Misery_Stitches
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:01 AM
Do you have tips for kids in school? My nephew is severely dyslexic too and struggles so hard.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
-Texas-Mommy-
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:03 AM
My dd is being tested for it. Bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PregnantNaly
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:06 AM
I only have one kid, but she's still young to be tested for Dyslexia. Although her daddy is dyslexic. He says Pepto Dismol instead of Pepto Bismol. He mixes up his 5's and S's also B's and D's. As for coping skills, I don't think he has any.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thehickinhickor
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:11 AM
Good story or bad lol my books are on tape most of the time i still try and read hard copy books tho. I do word fines to help train my mind/eyes to find words so its faster whenever i read. I taught myself how to read because the school did not know how to teach me.i was trying to teach my self grammar but have been really busy so i stop for now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MunchiesMom324
by Silver Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:13 AM
2 moms liked this

My brother is dyslexic... when he was in school, his teacher suggested getting a clear, red plastic folder and putting it over his homework - so that he could still see it through the folder, but it was all tinted red.  His homework scores improved drastically when he started doing that.

KitschyGirl
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:45 AM
I was tested in school my senior year

Quoting SoltaniMommy:

I have an idea that my son may be dyslexic. How do you go about having that challenged?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KitschyGirl
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:48 AM
When I was in school I took tests orally with no time constraints. But that was high school. Math was the worst for me because the numbers were all over the place. Lots of help is the best thing I think. You need someone who can proof read for you and read problems out loud in many cases.

Quoting Misery_Stitches:

Do you have tips for kids in school? My nephew is severely dyslexic too and struggles so hard.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KRIZZ25
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:49 AM
1 mom liked this

i am and have a group i,m starting for ppl wth ld and other issues..

IncognitoOne
by Angela-Marie on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:50 AM

I use the bookmark idea myself..lol.

I'm worse with numbers than letters. Algebra SUCKED for me until the teachers learned my little secret...lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)