Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism/SPD Mommas

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:07 AM
  • 10 Replies

My almost 4 year old son has Mosaic Down Syndrome, Asperger's and Sensory Processing Disorder. He has been in a weird thing I want to describe as a manic mode for over a day now. He has had 3-4 hours sleep in over 24 hours. NONE of my regular tricks to calm him are working....I have tried deep pressure, his listening therapy, brushing and my other usual calming stuff and nothing is bringing him out of this. He is all over the place either spinning in circles or in constant motion and he is jumbling his words because it seems his mouth can't keep up with his mind/thoughts. I have calls in to his primary therapists but it being Saturday I have to wait for call backs...Anyone else deal with this before? I am at my wit's end and I know it is driving him crazy because I can see it in his eyes. :(

by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JADIEBUG
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:11 AM

BUMP!

Somewoman.on.cm
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:12 AM

have you tried drums?

Drums that are calm, like in American Indian Chants used to be calming to me...

Or having a person drum on the floor the rhythm that my heartbeat was and then they would slowly slow down how fast they were drumming and I would just kind of go along with it until they were drumming the sound of a normal calm heartbeat

PeytonNBella
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:13 AM

BUMP!

JADIEBUG
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:14 AM

That is what part of his listening therapy is supposed to do and it generally always works and it is not. He has never been so totally out of control like this before.

Quoting Somewoman.on.cm:

have you tried drums?

Or having a person drum on the floor the rhythm that my heartbeat was and then they would slowly slow down how fast they were drumming and I would just kind of go along with it until they were drumming the sound of a normal calm heartbeat

Somewoman.on.cm
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:23 AM

Did he eat anything new?

Quoting JADIEBUG:

That is what part of his listening therapy is supposed to do and it generally always works and it is not. He has never been so totally out of control like this before.

Quoting Somewoman.on.cm:

have you tried drums?

JADIEBUG
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:24 AM

Nothing new in his diet or his life.

Quoting Somewoman.on.cm:

Did he eat anything new?

Quoting JADIEBUG:

Quoting Somewoman.on.cm:

have you tried drums?

3690inspire
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:30 AM
((HUGS))
Somewoman.on.cm
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:33 AM

The jumbling words, and stuttering things happens to me when I have a lot to say and It feels like 3 sentences try to get out at once so a "traffic jam" happens and I just don't speak...Maybe he has something on his mind , can he draw ?

and the spinning around and constant motion used to happen to me when I was trying to decide something and couldn't make up my mind...

as strange as this sounds, is this the first christmas he has understood the whole thing? like the presents and santa's list?

Quoting JADIEBUG:

Quoting Somewoman.on.cm:

Did he eat anything new?

Quoting JADIEBUG:

Quoting Somewoman.on.cm:

have you tried drums?

JADIEBUG
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:43 AM

That is exactly what it is like when he is trying to speak.

Yes this is the first Christmas that he "gets" it.

Quoting Somewoman.on.cm:

The jumbling words, and stuttering things happens to me when I have a lot to say and It feels like 3 sentences try to get out at once so a "traffic jam" happens and I just don't speak...Maybe he has something on his mind , can he draw ?

and the spinning around and constant motion used to happen to me when I was trying to decide something and couldn't make up my mind...

as strange as this sounds, is this the first christmas he has understood the whole thing? like the presents and santa's list?

Quoting JADIEBUG:

Quoting Somewoman.on.cm:

Did he eat anything new?

Quoting JADIEBUG:

Quoting Somewoman.on.cm:

have you tried drums?

Somewoman.on.cm
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:54 AM

He might be getting excited about the whole thing and trying to tell you what he wants, but wants a few things or can't make up his mind then is getting upset when he can't tell you and losing patience...

(or I could be wrong too)

Quoting JADIEBUG:

That is exactly what it is like when he is trying to speak.

Yes this is the first Christmas that he "gets" it.

Quoting Somewoman.on.cm:

Quoting JADIEBUG:

Quoting Somewoman.on.cm:

Did he eat anything new?

Quoting JADIEBUG:

Quoting Somewoman.on.cm:

have you tried drums?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)